What screws for fixing plasterboard to metal C studs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ‘ve started building a decoupling wall with metal studs; I’ve been using these screws for the first sheet (they are self drilling, so they have a small drill bit on the end

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydriv...ted-drywall-screws-3-5-x-25mm-1000-pack/25899

The problem is that, when the screw meets the stud and starts drilling (it takes 5 to 10 seconds), it also starts working as a worm drive and extracts a lot of powder that ends up below the screw head the moment the metal is finally perforated; also, it tears the paper 90% of the time

Should I use the ‘pointy’ screws instead?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydriv...ted-drywall-screws-3-5-x-25mm-1000-pack/48867

Sponsored Links
Have you considered drilling a pilot hole first?

I have only ever used those screws when attaching plywood to metal framing or when fixing sheet metal to sheet metal. In both cases I found it easier to pre-drill first, actually in the latter case I drilled a clearance hole and a pilot hole

Have you considered drilling a pilot hole first?

I have only ever used those screws when attaching plywood to metal framing or when fixing sheet metal to sheet metal. In both cases I found it easier to pre-drill first, actually in the latter case I drilled a clearance hole and a pilot hole

no, I haven’t tried drilling a pilot hole

This guy seems to be using the pointy ones (without the drilling end) and they seem to go in quickly

I’ve used your first kind of screws without problems to fix PB to resilient bars.
I believe you can also use “pointy” ones as long as they are fine thread. The coarse thread ones are for wood.
I don’t know if they will solve your problem though. Do you just need to turn the torque down a bit?

Sponsored Links
I’ve bought a box of 1000 of the pointy ones and they’re even worse; it takes forever to drill the hole, I’ll be returning the other 999 screws and keep using the first ones

So here’s what happens when I screw 15mm SoundBloc plasterboard to metal studs using the self drilling screws mentioned before

Even before the screws sinks, the paper is already ruined

It doesn’t happen if I screw it to wood (even without using wood screws)

Ok, I’ve found the solution after a lot of trial and error on scrap pieces

I need to sink the screw about the depth of the drilling end bit (2-3mm) with a push on the driver before actually screwing, that way the screws thread grabs the gypsum from the beginning without tearing the paper

Last edited:
I was doing this on a ceiling, so maybe gravity helped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back