DS40

S

Soggy_weetabix

Do any other plumbers out there use it?

In years of using it ive had pin holes, leaking boilers (gaskets), daincocks, valves but never has it eaten through an iron fitting. As plumbers, every leak can be adressed but if this stuff can pin an iron fitting I have the opinion if can destroy a cast iron heat e/ex.

On this one, as with so many, mains pressure (or powerflush) will have pushed off spreaders on the twin entry m/bore vlvs so I didnt mains it.

The system is so bad It was sludging pumps in 3 months.

Basically, Im of the opinion every rad needs off to clear sludge now. I have 2 inches of heat on either side and across the top.

Magnaclean ready when the system is clean!

Putting one in my house tommorow...great invention.

David

Sponsored Links
soggy said:
mains pressure (or powerflush) will have pushed off spreaders on the twin entry m/bore vlvs so I didnt mains it.

Since the inserts on microbore twin entry valves should always be on the return connection, you could mains flush in the flow to return direction without any risk of dislodging them.

I've used DS40 a few times. Most recently, it seemed not to achieve very much on a badly sludged system. Rather disappointing, given that it's not cheap. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium between too aggressive and too mild.

DS-40 is "only" citric and malic acids, as far as I've been told. Citric acid is the lemon/vingar stuff and used as kettle descaler (sometimes). Malic acid is also fairly benign, known as a "fruit" acid. They don't do much to iron, or steel.
They're supposed to only go for iron oxides. Shouldn't actually cause pinholes, but if they already exist.... hard to flush out, needs neutralising, probably not always complete...
Some oxides of CH systems certainly don't dissolve in hot DS-40 solution, or anything else you're likely to try. Not even HCl !

I'm with Soggy on this, running the CH for a couple or 4 weeks with some relatively gentle flushing brew followed by taking rads out for inverting half full, is probably about as good as it gets.

The boiler's more difficult. I'm too young :oops: to have tried much on CI monsters. Anyone formed a view?

Iv used it a couple a times but the fact that it comes with its own nuetraliser gets me wondering what happens if u dont get it all out. not easy on a large drop system with a thermal store. etc, :cry: softly 'softly i think. the last time i used it made big improvements to a very noisy system ( was a suprima as well)

Sponsored Links
"what happens if u dont get it all out"
Things like pin-holes will get worse. They're little electrolytic corrosion sites, so a little bit of local acidity would be a bad thing. You'd think that the chems would all get entirely dissolved and flushed away, but apparently not, if you look into techy papers.
Double-dosing with inhibitor seems like a good idea, but whether that's necessary or sufficient, dunno mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back