DU145 bypass valve - how to reset the dial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a Honeywell DU145 bypass valve fitted, with the factory setting of 2

Using data from my boiler and my pump, I calculated that it needs to be set at 3.5. I loosened the locking screw as per instructions and was surprised that the black dial moves with the red control - not very intuitive! I thought perhaps I hadn't loosened it enough so loosened it some more and the dial started slipping inside.

Eventually I removed the screw altogether to see what was going on, and finally discovered that the valve is multi-turn and the dial only moves half a point for each full turn of the red knob. (I think it's what they call an epicyclic gear).

How do I get the dial back to its reference position? If I turn the knob fully clockwise it reaches an end stop. Is this setting "1" on the dial? Can someone with a DU145 try it and let me know please.

Note - the instructions say don't turn it beyond position 6 (ANTI-clockwise) or it will be damaged. I haven't done this, and I know that it is still working and that I could set it by trial and error, following instructions on other posts. Still, I would like to set it according to my calculations.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I got the clockwise and anti-clockwise the wrong way round.

It meets an end stop when I turn it anti-clockwise. Is this setting "1"?
The numbers increase when you turn it clockwise

I spoke to Honeywell tech support and they confirmed:

Removed red knob and dial.
Push knob back on and turn knob ANTICLOCKWISE until end stop (this can take quite a few turns).
This is setting 1.
Replace knob with dial on setting 1.
Turn knob CLOCKWISE to desired setting (about 2.5 complete turns of the dial to move 1 unit).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back