Dual Feed Radiator Valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently discovered a leak coming from the large nut on one of my rads. I tried to nip it up but it would not move. I looked online on how to resolve this issue and thought it would be relatively simple. So, first I unscrewed the nut carefully to allow the water to come out. After around 20 mins the water stopped. So, then I tried to take off the large nut but it would not move. At this point I was advised by a friend that this type of valve may not have a olive under the large nut. And was advised to wipe then end of the joint to remove any debris, which may have been causing the problem. I then found a small brass object which I can see has come out of the actual valve on the opposite side, (tap side) There is a threaded bit on this brass looking piece which looks like it screws into the bottom of the dome shaped valve inside. On the opposite side (radiator side ) a black plastic tube is protruding out slightly.
Firstly, is there a special tool to re-insert this small piece back in? and secondly where does this plastic pipe fit to?
Any help or advice would be welcome.

attached pic of same type of valve

Attachments

• twin feed.jpg
    twin feed.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 844
Sponsored Links
I think a photo of the bits might help, the plastic bit might be a dip pipe that should extend almost to the far end of the radiator.
Those valves are obsolete you can get replacements I think but they are overpriced.
Usual recommendation is to change to the modern system of two valves one at each end

The plastic 'dip pipe' you mention does actually go all along the bottom of the radiator. If you could advise me of where I might get a replacement and the possible cost, I would be grateful. It may well be easier and cost effective to have a valve at each end, but not sure what cost is involved with that option. Could you give me some idea roughly of the cost involved having modern replacements at each end?

Sponsored Links
Lunns are always worth trying for special items.
http://www.shop.lunns.net/yorkshire-8mm-brass-1469-maxitwin-rad-valve-126504-p.asp
You need to check the pipe size most modern valves are 15mm copper, but dual valves are often micro or mini bore 8 or 10mm.
Cannot give a price it's a case of getting some quotes, unless you fancy DIY. It will involve draining the system and running a bit of pipe to the other end of the rad, most rads will have a tapping at both ends in your case it will be sealed with a ½" BSP plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back