Dual flush valve doesn't dual flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 Ideal Standard push button flush toilets, one dual flush works and gives a short flush when the short flush button is pushed but the other only does the long flush i.e. the short flush never works. I can see no reason why this is as they both seem to function the same.

The way the flush unit works is strange and complex, there is a small moving plastic sump the top half of which water can flow out of via two holes halfway down. The bottom half just fills with water and there is no way for the water to escape - the reason for this is baffling so please someone tell me why - is this used as a weight?

When the short flush is operated the little moving sump is forced upwards in sympathy with the main central piston moving upwards. This is achieved by a little plastic pivot mechanism that engages when the short flush is operated.

When the long flush is selected the plastic catch is disengaged from the movement of the central piston and is therefore not raised i.e. the sump stays in its lowest position. How this makes a difference I have no idea but I assume the water runs out of the upper section via the holes halfway down.

Although on both toilets the little sump moves up when the short flush button is selected, one does do a short flush but the other not.

Any ideas why? Or indeed how these dual flush toilets work. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back