Dual Mass Flywheel

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I have a 2003 LDV Convoy van, fitted with the Ford 2.4 Duratorq engine and gearbox. I have had a few problems with the van including occasional vibration at high speed and sometimes it won't go into gear. Now the starter motor is getting clogged up with metal dust. I think all these issues relate to the dual mass flywheel but I wondered if anyone here has experience with renewing or repairing these flywheels?

Sponsored Links
Only replacement is possible, I'm afraid - but there may be a conversion back to a plain flywheel if you want to go down that route.
Metal filings all over the place are a sign of flywheel issues, together with extreme knocking sounds as the thing gets worse.
John :)

Thanks. I have now removed the gearbox and clutch but the screws holding the flywheel on seem to be a sort of male torx and I don't know if I need a special tool. I remember a 1971 BSA motorbike I had years ago had some 12 sided nuts that you could only undo with a suitable socket but these look different again :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. I just tried to register there but it has one of those jumbled letter security things and I can't decipher it. :cry:

Have sussed it now. They do now sell female torx sockets and I think the one I need is an E14.

those twelve sided torx things are called splines you can buy them cheap enough on ebay etc.

Back