Dual memory on an android phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Internal memory of android phones are notoriously bad.

Does anyone have any android phone that they've managed to configure in dual memory, so that's an internal memory + an external memory card ?

How easy is it ?

Sponsored Links
I've got a 64gb memory card in my S5, phone uses it for storing photos etc but you can't run programs from memory cards on Android iirc.

Set phone up to use memory card for storage on camera app ect and then move all your old stuff across to the card.

I've read theres a way to run programs on an external card but fuk it looks difficult and I don't want to dive in and buy a new phone only to find out I can't do it.

The plus side of doing it would be to extend the life of the phone, as we know every time you upgrade your phone software the developers make it slower.

The Android operating system runs under "protected memory", makes it nice and secure.

You may be able to run programs on the SD card if you "root" the phone but at that point warranty is invalid if you do it to a new one..

Just had a look and mine using 14.7gb out of 16gb internal memory and hasn't slowed down appreciably.

Sponsored Links
It's not android that causes the problem, it's the phone and how they've configured the system. Samsung phones tend to swap between the internal and external memoy quite easily, but they don't always do upgrades, so the worry of getting it slowed down won't be the issue there. Apple got caught out with slowing down their older phones, but they are expensive, so some users keep them going as long as possible. Most android users seem to swap their phones every couple of years, so no need to slow them down.

The 3gb memory in the phone runs the software and apps, and the internal and external memory the stores pictures and music etc, but as so many phones come with masses of memory nowadays, there aren't so many issues. There's a normally a setting that allows you to transfer the app to the external storage, but I doubt if you'll need to use it.

What's your budget and requirements.

You can get 64 or 128Gb android phones if you want to spend the money. The notoriety goes as far as what kind of money people spend on them, often a cheaper alternative to say an iPhone or flagship Samsung or HTC. So you can't expect similar specs in that instance.

As for secondary memory, other than for storing files, I've not come across many apps that run well when loaded on to SD cards so they're a bit of a let down in that situation.

Depending on what version of android you're using you don't have to root you phone to move apps to external storage, some just simply won't by default. Others do and run well. Some do but run poorly.

In that case what are my options for a budget of between £100-150 ?

I want to run at least 1- 5 apps, including sat nav apps, trade apps, social apps, so a minimum of 16Gb at least?

And it needs to be sim free.

I don't mind not doing the dual memory thing so long as I get decent enough speed for a minimum 3 years otherwise it doesen't justify the cost.

I don't mind spending a little more but not really happy spending over £200

I'm still running my HTC One m8 after four years, and it's still mint.
Treated it to a new battery and charging port last autumn (£60, fitted).

Wrt apps, on HTC, go to settings - apps, then select an app. There will be a button for "move to SD" or something similar, but it will be greyed out for some apps (mainly the standard Google shoite that comes prepacked with the phone, that you can't uninstall without rooting).

No issues with performance, I have 13gb of 16gb used, but podcasts, documents, and photos are defaulted to my 128gb SD card.

Moving some apps over to the SD card will make the phone run quicker then ?

I've got what looks like a 2gb in there, so if I buy a 16gb card and transfer over as many apps as possible to it, do I stand a chance of speeding up the phone I've got now?

I hate google and would happily delete as much of it as possible, what do I need/not need of it on there? It's annoying how everything seems to have to go through google apps, and loads of google apps I can't delete and appears to be prepacked with the phone as you mention.

Fiddling about it seems RAM is the bigger issue. Androids typically have between 512Mb and 2Gb of RAM, and I think that's what is causing the slow down, can't seem to free up much either as it's mostly services and googles crap.

You can disable a lot of it using a memory optimizer app.

In that case what are my options for a budget of between £100-150 ?

I want to run at least 1- 5 apps, including sat nav apps, trade apps, social apps, so a minimum of 16Gb at least?

And it needs to be sim free.

I don't mind not doing the dual memory thing so long as I get decent enough speed for a minimum 3 years otherwise it doesen't justify the cost.

I don't mind spending a little more but not really happy spending over £200

Look at the Motorola Moto G series.

I'm still running my HTC One m8 after four years, and it's still mint.
Treated it to a new battery and charging port last autumn (£60, fitted).

Wrt apps, on HTC, go to settings - apps, then select an app. There will be a button for "move to SD" or something similar, but it will be greyed out for some apps (mainly the standard Google shoite that comes prepacked with the phone, that you can't uninstall without rooting).

No issues with performance, I have 13gb of 16gb used, but podcasts, documents, and photos are defaulted to my 128gb SD card.

I used to me a HTC user. I've had the M7 through to the M9 and they're at the high end of the market so they cope better running apps from external storage.

This won't be the case with the majority of phones as they are simply underpowered and lack bus speed in chipset and RAM capacity. See my above post.

Speed up his operating system a little it might but if the apps dont want to play ball the situation won't be any better, if not worse.

I used to me a HTC user. I've had the M7 through to the M9 and they're at the high end of the market so they cope better running apps from external storage.

This won't be the case with the majority of phones as they are simply underpowered and lack bus speed in chipset and RAM capacity. See my above post.

Speed up his operating system a little it might but if the apps dont want to play ball the situation won't be any better, if not worse.
I hear what you're saying. My point is that, a secondhand m8 could be a goer. I can vouch for its performance and longevity.

Sponsored Links
Back