Ducted Hood - why does it have filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

i bought this hood and my builder fitted for me so that a pipe runs up and across the ceiling and out above the conservatory roof

my question is: why does it have that filter thing? i thought that was just for people who had the non-duct method
and how do i clean it going forward as its got dirty over the last few months?

http://www.hotpoint.eu/hotpoint/_pdf/manuals/19512420500_GB.pdf
see page 11 for the filter i am on about, and please can you advise if i need it - and if so - how i clean . replace.

kind regards

Sponsored Links
page 11 shows both the grease filter and the carbon filter.

the grease filter is essential, otherwise the inside of your hood and the duct will be dripping with filthy smelly grease. You clean it as described on page 11.

the carbon filter is to attempt top deodorise cooking smells and is not essential in a ducted extractor, though it will capture more particles and keep the duct cleaner. As described on page 11, you don't clean it, you remove it when clogged and if necessary fit a new one.

it would help if i opened my good up lol

i only had a grease filter - no carbon filter as its ducted :D

so just put grease filter in dishwasher yesterday!

i think im maintaining it right?! lol

thanks!

Sponsored Links
How do you propose to deal with this then as I have chosen to have it ducted out that 4" pipe so It's inevitable to get grease in the pipe no??

the grease filter stops most of the grease getting into the pipe. You wash it in the dishwasher as mentioned.

Sorry I am being really thick

Pls can you help

1) in the pic you can see silver filter which goes at the top - this is what I cleaned in dishwasher - is this the right method to maintain? Maybe every month?

2). Then you have this black thing under that as you can see in pic
Sorry I thought it was empty but is this charcoal filter? Why do I have this if mine has an outside vent? And how do I maintain this going forward? How often do I change?

3) can I cover the top of the glass part of hood with a vynil sheet or sow thing easy to wipe as its getting very greasy

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 254
Just read John D post back ! Thank you

Didn't realise I had grease and carbon as mine was ducted!!

Can you please just let me know if it's safe to cover the glass top so it doesn't get gressy plezde

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 223
Hi guys can I cover the glass top bit of my hood so it doesn't get greasy or is this a fire hazard pls can you advise?

Depends what you mean by covered? I'm sure if you wrap it in paper it'll be a bad idea. And whatever you cover it with will get greasy anyway so whats the point? Might as well just clean the glass and have it look nicer.

hi all

time has come to change the grease and carbon filter

i have seen the below:
http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cooker-...nt&path=52509&model_ref=3890786&refine=filter

is this how most people tend to replace? as universal parts seems the only thing i can find...nothing for my exact model ready to go.....

Also - how to i take the grease filter out of the metal rim? and the carbon black filter out of the hood???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back