Ducted Hood - why does it have filter?

also given my hood has a vent outside (ducted) - do I even need the charcoal filters? i thought that was just for re - circulation?

pls advise....i cant even take out the charcoal filters at the moment these 2 levers do nothing!

Sponsored Links
thank you

i figured out how to open the carbon filter - there was 2 screws
but given my hood has a vent outside (ducted) - do I even need the carbon filter? i thought that was just for re - circulation method?

it says i should change every 20 months

secondly - the grease filter (METAL ONE) - how often should you change this? manual only says to put in dishwasher......

If it is ducted, you don't need a carbon filter.

You need the grease filter to keep the fan and duct less filthy.

The metal ones have to be kept clean or revolting congealed grease may drip onto your food, smell, and be a fire risk. The metal mesh ones should be kept clean and not need to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
is it ok to keep the carbon filter now that its on there however? i guess its just an extra barrier......?

the metal one sadly i have only cleaned twice in one year. the metal has grease on it. my mum never remembers to clean in dishwasher often.

should i replace altogether? £20 or so on that link you sent me!!

maybe you could buy a spare one and clean them alternately, so you can swap them round when you think of it.

Sometimes you can also cut a "universal" fibre or foam filter to fit on top of the metal, they are washable or disposable, it will help to reduce grease inside the hood. It is very difficult to clean out once inside.

thank you. i think i will have to invest in a new metal grease filter and take more care of it.

as for the carbon filter.....if you agree - i will keep it in place even though its ducted. its an extra barrier surely....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back