Ducting extractor hood problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there ,
I fitted an extractor hood when I dine the kitchen and I used it in recirculating mode ,because of where the hood is situated.
20140903_180540_zpsj4stkwy1.jpg

As you can see from the picture the extractor is turning the wall and ceiling black .

Anyway I would like to duct the extractor to the outside,but the only problem is that the boiler pipe might be in the way.
20140903_180546_zpsbwq2w5po.jpg

20140903_180551_zpsae1bktcv.jpg

What I would like to know is if anybody thinks this is going to be a problem?
I know I would have to lift the floor board upstairs but do you think this pipes are going to be in the way?

All help is appreciated thanks[/list]

Sponsored Links
My guess is that the joists run parallel to the cooker hood wall, that is why the corner most pipe is cranked away from the first joist. If you are lucky, you can run the flue pipe straight up through the cooker hood "flue" then in the ceiling void, angle it over so it gets in between the fourth pipe and the next joist where it could exit through the wall. Check the distance between the joists and that fourth pipe first.
Frank

I take it you mean the 4th as in the one next to the window?
If I set my circular saw to 18mm depth that should be fine and not hit any pipes hopefully lol
Cheers

Hi there,
Would it be bad pratice and would it look crap,if I run the ducting without going into the ceiling cavaty space.
I.e go from the chimney across above the cupboard and out through the wall by the boiler.
Cheers dazz

Sponsored Links
If you want to do this, then the neatest way would be to build A sort of box that sits on the boiler. The "sides" that are against the walls need not be sides at all but just struts to hold the two visible sides at right angles and upright when propped on the boiler top.
The problem then becomes the bends in the ducts to get the two tubes parallel but offset by 18" in a depth of 12". I think the "flexible" ducting will have a problem with this. Perhaps you can get the right bends in rigid plastic.
Frank

I have cut some of the floorboards out just above the hood and found there is and rsj in the way to go straight up,so I would need to cut the hole in the ceiling offset to the chimney .
Also the boiler pipe goes 90 degrees to the left and they are right up against the floorboards so I am worried about cutting into them by accident ,and it look like the might only be enough room for a 4"vent max.
So this is why I was asking about running it above the cupboard,maybe using the white plastic ducting.
I.e straight run from hood to boiler pipes the 90 bend to 90 bend to vent,how's that sound.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back