duel rcd consumer unit on new 17th edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all am i right in thinking that you have to install a duel rcd consumer unit on new 17th edition for a new build,

Cheers

Daren

Sponsored Links
Daren,

You certainly don't *HAVE* to install a dual rcd unit, though that is likely the way many new builds will go.

Under the 17th, in most situations all circuits will have to be RCD protected, and they cannot all be protected by one RCD (though I've seen plenty of installs under the 16 that have taken that route - including my house :rolleyes: ).

The suppliers haven't exactly been quick to get out their designs, but it seems that the dual RCD box will become their standard 'solution'.

Others on here (you know who you are ;) ) will say that RCBOs are a much better way to go, and they are probably right - especially if the prices drop once the sales volume increases...

Hope that helps

Gavin

For a new build you'd probably need a high integrity board with a separate RCBO to feed the smoke alarms.

Have you not done your 2382 yet then?

Others on here (you know who you are ;) ) will say that RCBOs are a much better way to go, and they are probably right - especially if the prices drop once the sales volume increases...

Oh you mean John D (RCBO Man) :D ;) & I would also say that RCBO are better (as in the new MK 19 way CU i will be fitting at home, I will have 14 RCBOs)

Sponsored Links
A very wise move.

But 14 doesn't seem enough.

Well the best way would be to do the wiring in pyro to avoid the need for wiring to be RCD protected and improve it's longevity and use RCD sockets but that is out of most peoples price range.

A very wise move.

But 14 doesn't seem enough.

14 RCBOs is enough for my needs :D

In the 19 way MK CU there will be on RCBOs, the:

• Cooker (45A RCBO)
    Hot Tub (?A RCBO) Will be fitted in the future
    Downstairs Sockets (32A RCBO)
    Upstairs Sockets (32A RCBO)
    Utility Room Sockets (32A RCBO)
    Kitchen Sockets (32A RCBO)
    Side Extension Sockets (20A RCBO)
    Immersion Heater & Central Heating Power (16A RCBO)
    Shed Freezer (16A RCBO)
    Courtyard Garden Power & Meter Cupboard Socket (16A RCBO)
    Upstairs Lights (6A RCBO)
    Side Extension Lights (6A RCBO)
    Downstairs Lights (6A RCBO)
    Back Extension Lights (6A RCBO)

There will be on MCBs, the:

• Shed (40A MCB)
    Loft Sockets & Front Outside RCD Socket (20A MCB)
    Smoke Alarms (6A MCB)
    & two spare ways.

you might consider moving to MEM

better quality and you can keep a few RCBO pods to assemble your own at whatever rating you desire

you might consider moving to MEM

better quality and you can keep a few RCBO pods to assemble your own at whatever rating you desire

Size of space for cu is w=55, h=35 & d=15 & CU has to have at least 19 ways, & the option for a lock on the CU lid. Do MEM do one which meets these requirements :?:

Who Stocks MEM ?

Does MEM cost much more then MK :?:

for a lock-on lid AFAIK you need Memera 2000, not AD, For 19 ways the Steel one is AS19). Insulated (Plastic) one would be AP19.

Browse the cat on http://www.memonline.com/publications/

They are available from about any supplier but not widely sold in the DIY market.

rcbo's are going to be they way forward, IMO too :oops:

The ESC, THE IET, the NICEIC etc....are steering it this way IMO

And it's a good solution, if you're not paying the bill for the materials!

Space for wiring might swing it away from MK.
- MK CU have sod all space for wiring all-RCBOs
- Hager has a little more
- MEM might have more still

MK are tight at 208mm high, can get fiddly and does not do the internal wiring aesthetics much good when you are so limited in space.

for a lock-on lid AFAIK you need Memera 2000, not AD, For 19 ways the Steel one is AS19). Insulated (Plastic) one would be AP19.

Browse the cat on http://www.memonline.com/publications/

They are available from about any supplier but not widely sold in the DIY market.

Which suppliers are they available from :?: Would WF do them :?: As I have a WF near me in the Gillingham Business Park.

For 16A & 32A RCBO protection, which is cheaper, using the RCBOs or using the RCBO pods on MCBs ?

For the 40A supply to the shed, would a MCB be ok, or would a HRC Fuse be better :?:

phone your local supplier for price

I would have thought price would be about them but the Pod enables you to assemble any rating you want, even if not in stock. They do not fit the cheaper AD range of MCBs, but in my experience they fit on all the MCBs that have a red/green on/off indicator in a window, including Memshield 2 (industrial) range as well as Memera 2000 ranges.

An MCB can be reset if it trips, obviously a fuse can't. Although it might be a little cheaper, if it ever does blow and need to be replaced, it has probably cost you more than buying an MCB in the first place, as well as the extra time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back