Wylex 12-Way Split Load Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can this be updated to the 17th edition i,e, duel rcd,

Thanks

Mini1961

Sponsored Links
no, because the main switch controls both halves, so changing it to an RCD would cause it to lose all power from a fault on either side

however, you could fit RCBOs on the non-RCD side, which will individually protect each circuit, in place of the existing MCBs. Parts would probably cost you in the region of £30-£40 each (prices seem to be moving)

Thanks John, sounds as if it would be cheaper to get a new duel consumer unit then,

Regards

Mini1961

Glad I'm not often in Hampshire - RCBO's not as much as £30 round here.

Sponsored Links
my factory turns them out for much less ;)

Thanks John, sounds as if it would be cheaper to get a new duel consumer unit then,

Regards

Mini1961

Cheaper, maybe (see above comments you can get them cheaper!) better, no chance. see if you can source some better priced RCBOs and fit them.

I Thought it maybe cheaper as my unit was to be fitted next week and i had one that i thought i could use, as the duel rcd units are only 100 to buy, would it not be cheaper.

Regards

Mini1961

Replacing mcbs with RCBOs requires a degree of care. It's important to either replace a Type B with a Type B, for e.g., or else re-calculate (with direct measurement) the line-neutral impedance to ensure that the mcb part of the RCBO continues to offer overcurrent protection which meets the required disconnection time of the circuit.

Should that not be line to cpc impedance, Zs?
No, that part is covered by the RCD part of the RCBO. It may also be covered by the mcb part of the RCBO, but even if it was, the RCD part of the RCBO would disconnect in 40ms (assuming a fault and not leakage), whereas the mcb side would disconnect in 100ms. The RCD side can not cover line-neutral fault currents i.e. short circuit.

The mcb part of the RCBO provides overcurrent protection (overload and fault) and the characterists of the mcb (Type B,C,D) will impose restrictions on the max. line-neutral fault impedance (including conductor impedance) for the required disconnection time (i.e. 0.4s).

Can this be updated to the 17th edition i,e, duel rcd,

Well yes, you can. If the consumer unit is already in situ, it might be worth doing. Replace the main isolator with a new RCCB. Remove the flying leads. Put the main isolator in a separate enclosure. Run the meter tails to the main isolator and then to a DP Henley block. Then run a pair of meter tails to each RCCB.

Why can't this be upgraded?

If the tails go into the CU and connect to the isolator and then you use two cables from the N and L (isolated side) to the top of two RCDs. The N from each of these to a different N block (it is a split load box in the OP). Then cut the buzzbar to give you the two pieces?

A split load box is designed for two separate sets of circuits. What is the limiting factor in this case? Would if just not be possible to put two L or N cables into the connector at the bottom of the isolator? If so why not, because a split-load box usually has two N cables (one to RCD one to unprotected N block) and the live has room for buzzbar and a cable?

In fact the MK sentry 17th edition has 2 L wires + a buzzbar going out of the isolator!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back