Duff Socket - Advice needed please...

J

jue3107

Hi

I'm new on here but hope that someone can give me a few pointers in the right direction on this one.

We replaced the antiquated faceplate of a 13amp socket in the hall on Thursday with a new dual-earth 13amp. Everything was fine, until I plugged a circular saw into it. Worked ok for about an hour then it tripped (or so we thought). Checked the fuse box, all the trips were as they should be but the socket was completely dead. Thought we must have damaged the socket so we have just replaced the face again and it's still not working :rolleyes:

Is there anyone out there who has any idea what's happened? All the other sockets are working fine in the house. It's just this one. Is the wiring likely to be damaged? If so, is it safe?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Jue

Sponsored Links
Can you test the cables at the back of the socket to see if they are live? If so then it'll be the socket front.

If not, then a problem somewhere else in the circuit and you probably need an electrician.

I presume that the socket is not on a dedicated circuit?

PS - what's a dual earth socket?

How have you tested the socket to prove it's dead? Also Sparkybird mentioned a dedicated circuit - is this the case? Is it a radial, a spur or a ring?

Sponsored Links
How have you tested the socket to prove it's dead? Also Sparkybird mentioned a dedicated circuit - is this the case? Is it a radial, a spur or a ring?

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately, I haven't got the means to test the socket other than trying several different "working" items in it which all fail. The socket is a spur (downstairs) from a ring main upstairs. It is an MK 13amp single switched socket. Sorry but it doesn't have a part number

I've never come across a dual earth socket before either, but I'm assuming you can use it as a normal one with just a single earth.

I don't think it can be the socket front as we've replaced it and it still doesn't work.

Thanks again
Jue

When you say it's a spur, does it come from a fused spur, or directly from a socket. In either case, the problem could be the connection to the upstairs socket - a loose cable in the socket wiring, or a blown fuse in the spur. If there is no visual sign, you'll need some form of electrical tester.

When you say it's a spur, does it come from a fused spur, or directly from a socket. In either case, the problem could be the connection to the upstairs socket - a loose cable in the socket wiring, or a blown fuse in the spur. If there is no visual sign, you'll need some form of electrical tester.

As far as I know, it's direct from a socket upstairs. Perhaps it is a loose cable but it seemed too much of a coincidence with the circular saw. I'd had a problem with it tripping the separate circuit in the garage a couple of weeks ago so assumed it was that. There isn't anything obvious when you look at the socket eg melting plastic or scorch marks, so I'll have to give an electrician a call on Monday and see if he can pop out and have a look at it.

Thanks again.

When three cables are stuffed into one socket - as in your case with the upstairs socket - it is possible that they become loose. It may be worth turning off the power and just checking the wiring at the back of that socket. Circular saws can have a high start up current which is possibly why it tripped the garage supply. It could also be faulty!

Thanks very much. I'll have a look at the upstairs socket tomorrow and if nothing looks out of place I'll ring the electrician.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back