Dufus trod on circular saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Makita circular saw, it was a lovely bit of kit - until it was trodden on (not by me).

As a result the plate/rest bed appears warped, and now when cutting it wants to wander off the line - (quite a bit).

I have tried re-aligning things but had no joy, wonder if anyone else has solved such a problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Based on the thread title, I thought you had trod on a circular saw when it was going.

On youtube that would be called clickbait :ROFLMAO:

Sorry to disappoint :eek:
Its too late to change the title, very dangerous tool ...

Sponsored Links
It was a good accurate tool, not now thanks to this clumsy idiot, it appears the plate that runs down the back of the blade is bent, the bed is twisted, and the locking mechanism that allows cut depth to be adjusted is also bent ...

1) bed is twisted when you line your eye up on it ...
IMG_6768.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

2) Locking mechanism lever/connection for blade depth is bent ...
IMG_6771.JPG

IMG_6775.JPG

3) The rear guide plate is bent - the teeth should align perfectly, but now do not ...
IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6774.JPG

IMG_6776.JPG

IMG_6777.JPG

Sounds like the perfect time to upgrade to a Makita track saw, more accurate, clean perfect straight cut and a lot safer to use.

I've got one and its changed my life.

Depending on the model you should be able to get a new riving knife and foot plate but as Jay said, if it's panel ripping you're doing I'd rather use a plunge saw.

BiL (who used to mend power tools for a living laughed...) - his comment was it will cost as much for parts, if they are available, as a new saw. Buy one that comes with a storage/transport box and put back into that everytime when not using the tool to cut, stops 'Dufus's' from treading on the tools - been there, seen it happen.
If you buy a plunge saw then make the tool rails comes with the clamps to hold the rail in place on the material you are cutting.

Makita have told me to return it to see what needs replacing, but a call to FFX with part numbers and its not so horrendous, £5 for a new riving knife, and base assembly £15.
Always proves better in the long run to buy a quality tool where you can buy parts.

Talking of Track Saws, have been considering a Panel/Wall Saw, such as :
https://www.axminster.co.uk/safety-speed-c4-panel-saw-110067

Have just started making cabinets for expo work, Panel saw would be quicker than a track saw - but need it reasonably accurate. Track saw would be good to have onsite.

Makita have told me to return it to see what needs replacing, but a call to FFX with part numbers and its not so horrendous, £5 for a new riving knife, and base assembly £15.
Always proves better in the long run to buy a quality tool where you can buy parts.

That's not bad at all, it's cost me £15 to send one of my circ saws back to makita today on a 48hr service so for what it's worth, not a massive amount of work involved.

However in my own case it seems that the motor controller has let the magic smoke out, brushless tools are good until they go and bad.

Talking of Track Saws, have been considering a Panel/Wall Saw, such as :
https://www.axminster.co.uk/safety-speed-c4-panel-saw-110067

Have just started making cabinets for expo work, Panel saw would be quicker than a track saw - but need it reasonably accurate. Track saw would be good to have onsite.

Where you can make it pay the panel saw such as that would be spot on. I've recently got the makita 36v track saw and it's a real gem.

Yes was surprised at the cost of the spares, thought I might have to buy another complete saw, in line with all that is disposable ion our society today.

The panel saw just looks easier to use for cutting down.

"makita 36v track saw" - the cordless one with the double battery ? ... something to consider, often no sockets available when we go onsite ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back