Dulux BW Satinwood - gone cream colour after 6 months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I painted the doors in my house earlier this year with Dulux BW Satinwood. I noticed that they have gone a cream colour in the last few weeks - I only painted them 6 months ago....

The doors upstairs were fitted by the previous owner. They are a woodgrain door, I think from Wickes. The front door has stayed white - this is an original wood door, which is around 25 years old.

The doors were prepped properly, a light sand and scrubbed with sugar soap. Two coats of Dulux undercoat and 2 coats of satinwood. Each coat was left to dry properly. The door frames have also discoloured.

I'm really disappointed and will need to do the doors again. It took weeks to paint them and the paint wasn't cheap.

Have I done something wrong or is there a better satinwood on the market that wouldn't discolour this quickly?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It's the new 2010 paints. They made them reduce the VOC content - and they all go yellow now. Only water based paint won't yellow.

Hi Joe - thanks for the reply.

I'm so disappointed, it's been a complete waste of time, the doors look really naff.

At least I haven't had the carpets put down yet so I can re-paint them. I'll google a good water based paint.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Yep, water-based is now the way to go if you want your doors to stay white. :mad:
The reason the front door has stayed whiter could be due to it getting more natural (uv) light through windows/glass. If you mean the outside of the door, then this is even more likely to be the reason, although satin isn't recommended for exterior use.

Have to agree with joe-90, Johnstones paints have a superb waterbased formulation particularly the gloss its by far the best i have come across. :D

Avoid Dulux water-based, as in my limited experience, they aren't very glossy, being pretty thin. Very poor finish on them (ie they show every little sanding mark or dint that thicker paints tend to cover over)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back