Dulux One Coat Satinwood or Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title.

I am asking because I was painting doors and sills in a property I rent, bought Dulux one coat satinwood, by mistake. I thought it was water based but it's solvent based. The quick dry is water based.
However, the finish was impressive but dries in 16 hrs for second coat (yes needed on most parts), white spirit to wash brushes is annoyance plus the smell.
I also used it on rads, the finish was immaculate like new, let's hope stands the heat when turned on.

What is your opinion on those 2 versions on Satinwood from Dulux?

Sponsored Links
Anything that says ‘one coat’ is a gimmicky name to lure in naive diyers.

solvent paints on woodwork etc always provide a fuller richer finish imo. Always looks good enough to eat.

I don’t even bother washing brushes I use with solvent based paints. - I just chuck them.

Buy paint and slap on one nice thick coat and feet up knowing it looks terrible and when you next decorate you can't sand as will peel off. All you have done is sabotage your own woodwork.
Proper clean.
Light sand to get a key.
Undercoat
De nib
Then two top coats.

Follow the data sheet application advice for the paint you have chosen.

Sponsored Links
Well oil satin wood needs an undercoat especially going over old gloss. Can be applied without an undercoat with correct preparation and only if surface is in good condition.

Water based paint needs an undercoat (adhesion primer)

Clean spirit is nice to use and with remove paint from brushes with both oil and water based paints.

Solvent (oil) satin wood won't yellow so quick as gloss.
Acrylic satin will stay white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back