Dulux paint takes a week to harden!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having our all-wooden kitchen rehabbed by the company which installed it 18 yrs ago. Major job is Dulux eggshell paint of all wooden doors and surfaces. Carcases done in-situ, doors back to the factory. I have seen the fitting of new units and the prep in progress, and the work so far has been meticulous.

After three days the paint has a sheen and can be easily grooved with a fingernail. It resembles more a silk finish than eggshell and has a plasticy feel. This applies to the doors in the paint shop and the carcases in our underfloor heated kitchen at a steady 20/21 deg even though its door and window has been left open for three days.

Our kitchen company today contacted the Dulux rep and was told that these new 'green' paints have reduced spirit content and can take a week to harden. Our manager said that he never encountered this problem before even though he paints many kitchens a week. Dulux has sent a sample for analysis but said the doors which he produced to them appear perfectly normal. They offered him another pot of paint.

Meanwhile we have no kitchen for another week. We've agreed to meet on Monday and decide what to do, probably sand off the Dulux and use something else as who wants a paint that needs a week to dry properly?

How sad to see a company which I have trusted for over 40 years shrug its shoulders when presented with such a problem. I'll post again with the final results, but I've bought my last tin of Dulux.

Sponsored Links
Dulux, as other manufacturers, have had problems with meeting the new EU regulations re solvents. I have had a can of Dulux Trade Gloss which had the consistency of cold tea and was like painting with water. I took it back to the supplier who contacted Dulux and was told to try longer mixing. The second can, left in the vibrator for twice as long as normal, was fine. It appears that the new solvents are more difficult to combine.

That's something which would never have occurred to me and it makes a lot of sense. Have passed this on to our kitchen company. Many thanks.

Would very much like to hear from Dulux regarding this, their rep was keen enough to publicise their new improved product ... now why does my heart sink when I hear these words? :cry:

Sponsored Links
You are better off spraying your doors with automotive paint - try scratching your car with your nail.

Agreed this would have been the best way, but we can't remove the carcases from under 7cwt of granite worktops so they have to be done in-situ.
Kitchen factory manager says he has done many kitchens without problems until now. Don't think he will be using Dulux again unless they can sort out what's wrong.

I thought you said that the doors went back to the factory? You can mask the carcase and spray it. I've done it in the past.

Yes Joe, point taken, but this was supposed to be a quick no-hassle in-and-out job with yours truly not involved. I've done quite a lot of spray painting in bygone yrs so my wife knows all about it. The prospect of overspray throughout the house does not fill her with joy and happiness ;)

Hi Softypaint

I now add terebine (by rustins) to my oil based paints post 2010 voc compliance. It speeds drying times.

My bread and butter is cabinet painting and I have noticed that the damp air has retarded drying times over the last week or so. This is far more noticable with the new paints.

Given the labour times and costs involved in stripping and repainting you are better off waiting to allow it to dry.

The sheen will take 6 weeks or so to flatten but it will harden before that time.

To be fair to Dulux they were forced to reduce the solvents and increase the solids by the EU. The problem is not brand specific. They are also a btch to work with now.

With regard to spraying- acid cat with a HVLP gun will leave you with a dry mist over spray (ie it will be dust before it lands) but the units would be touch dry in minutes (much faster than car paints)- you will also not need to worry about yellowing inside the units. It does stink though and is toxic.

If you do spray use a HVLP gun- 30% bounce back compared with 90% using standard high pressure spraying

Many thanks for this, our weather has indeed been damp (Ireland!) and the paint applied on Tuesday does seem a little harder each day going by. I'll pass on your additive tip to the kitchen company.

All these factors seem to fit but I do think that Dulux should be giving it more publicity especially to their professional customers.

Job totals £3k but far from just paint, new sink and pullout units etc as well. We think it's a fair price from a family firm which we trust ... hard to find these days.

Good God - you can get new carcases and doors for £500!

Yes, and I can buy a Fiat Panda for £5k, or a Lexus for £37k. Both do the same job, just that I prefer something extra. :D

Yes. You can get painted kitchen doors with soft paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back