Dulux paint takes a week to harden!

Cant myself find any reason to hand paint a Lexus although it can be done useing the correct products, brushes, and coach enamel. not to mention the correct technique.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Joe could do it and there would be no brush marks....

Sponsored Links
Well folks, almost three weeks on and the Dulux Trade Eggshell is almost dry. It still feels a bit soft and the fumes on opening the door in the morning are still very strong, although the weather has been good and the door has been open for 10 days with the underfloor heating on too. When Dulux said it would take a week to dry they weren't kidding!

We are very pleased with the final result but would never use Dulux again. Our supplier says he will repeat the job in 6 mths if necessary using his customary paint, he uses another manufacturer because it has much better support with a local depot here.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

90% of my time is painting units, and I tend to use Crown and Dulux. Doing a kitchen at the moment in a new build house with no heating using Dulux oil eggshell.

So all I do is to add a little drop of Rustins paint driers to the paint and then I'm able to de-nib within 24hrs, even without any heating.

If fact I tend to use driers now for all my kitchens, with or without heating in the room.

Lyngarth

Dulux is nothing more than a colour range in my opinion.

I've spent A LOT of money buying Dulux and trying it against others. Unless you're after very specific colours, you can get very similar results for a third or quarter of the money from own brands or others.

I painted our kitchen out with Dulux Light and Space, it's real expensive! I'm now going over it with B&Q's own brand of £10 a tub white emulsion, the dirt cheap sh1tty stuff.

It's branding.

Some of it works A LITTLE better, but most of the gain is nothing compared to the cost. The Light and Space looked bright at first, but faded very quickly.

At 3-4x the price, I won't buy another can of it again.

Well folks, almost three weeks on and the Dulux Trade Eggshell is almost dry. It still feels a bit soft and the fumes on opening the door in the morning are still very strong, although the weather has been good and the door has been open for 10 days with the underfloor heating on too. When Dulux said it would take a week to dry they weren't kidding!

We are very pleased with the final result but would never use Dulux again. Our supplier says he will repeat the job in 6 mths if necessary using his customary paint, he uses another manufacturer because it has much better support with a local depot here.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

You got your 3 grands worth then? I am pleased. :p

I've spent A LOT of money buying Dulux and trying it against others. Unless you're after very specific colours, you can get very similar results for a third or quarter of the money from own brands or others.

Hi john

I would agree if you are comparing like with like. By that I mean that the Dulux retail paint is on par with most diy shed retail paints. That is to say they are all crap.

Dulux Trade is a completely different matter. To date I have, for example, found the quality of their trade oil based eggshell to be vastly superior to any other brand and definitely worth paying the premium (which in part is a result of their high advertising costs).

On an average week my material costs are less than a 10th of the total cost and the gains in using a cheaper paint would be massively eclipsed by the increase in my labour time (cost).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back