Dulux Quick Dry Low Odour Mid Sheen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife, who is the perfect door painter in our household wants to paint all our internal doors with the above pain because it is low odour (her breathing gets affected when using normal paint).

Will we have to strip all the paint off the doors or can we just sand them, I think the correct term is abrade them, so the new paint will adhere.

Also, want to change all our door handles and one is for the bathroom. Our current handle has a cam inside and when you turn the thumb button it catches on the cam to stop the door opening. There is a coin fitting on the outside with a slot so the door can be opened in the event of an emergency.

Tried to ring around and look at sites with handles to offer but getting confused at to what is meant by "privacy handle" and "bathroom handle". Could someone explain please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You only need to "scratch" the surface of the paint. 180 grit silicon carbide sand paper will suffice.

The most common term is probably "key", ie you are providing a key for the paint to stick to.

Regarding the lock, it might help if you post photos. More often than not the thumb turn part is an additional mortise. I think I understand what you mean, is your door handle a twist knob rather than lever handle though?

eg (minus the key)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc...2709857723.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.64.6xEbXF

Hi, thanks for the reply and explanation.

Attached are 2 photos of the current bathroom handle we have which hopefully you can see the mechanism.

Been to 3 local traders and non have what we need and two didn't know what we were talking about which is I am sure is called privacy lock (not bathroom lock), if they still make them. Was hoping to buy them locally so I can see the actual handles as buying online, if I can, means buying blind.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC_0217.jpg
    DSC_0217.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_0218.jpg
    DSC_0218.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 210
I know the type of handle you show, but have seldom seen them. Yale did offer a version but I think a few years ago I saw them on clearance, I believe as discontinued line.

Send your pic to ironmongerydirect, who carry a very large variety of handles, and ask for suggestions.

A "bathroom lock" most often looks like this, and is a variety of Sashlock:
806106.jpg

the thumbturn spindle goes in the same place as a normal keyhole, but your handle is designed for a simple latch and would not fit.

If necessary you can get a bathroom deadbolt operated by thumbturn, which is tubular so can be fitted into a drilled hole, easier than cutting out a mortice for the type of lock I show above.

Or you could just strip and polish your old handle.

Sponsored Links
Hi John, thanks for the info. Will send details to ironmongerydirect and see what they say.

Could you expand on your suggestion about a bathroom deadbolt, images would be ideal. Want to change the handles as they are very badly scratched.

Chris

One of these
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=bathroom+deadbolt

(most retailers only sell the short ones. Get one with the same backset as your latch)

operated by one of these
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=thumbturn+release

note there are two spindle sizes, not a prob, just verify the turn and the bolt are the same size.

Don't use the one-piece plate with handle and thumbturn in one, unless you can drill holes and fix the parts within a fraction of a mm.

You may need to buy a new tubular mortice latch so the backset on the latch and the bolt are identical.

They are listed as bathroom, but can also be used for privacy on bedroom doors or to keep young kids out of other rooms, until they find out how to operate the emergency release. You can use them as security bolts if there is no access from the other side.

Hi John

Have emailed images to ironmongerydirect.co.uk to see what they suggest.

Am I right to assume that the deadbolt only needs to have an appropriately sized hole drilled in the edge of the door and the strike plate fitted on the door frame? Seems simple but then I am absolute rubbish at carpentry.

Chris

yes, but you have to trim the (usually rectangular) recess for the faceplate in the door edge and frame, using a very sharp chisel.

Tubular mortice latches are fitted the same way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back