Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood Paint very sticky and easily peel off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood Paint to refresh the internal doors and on some new skirting boards. Skirting boards were lightly sanded but doors were only cleaned by wet clothes.

It's been 2-3 months and I found the paint to be sticky when touching ( totally dried at this stage) so easily stained and if scratched lightly the paint peel off easily.

Is it because the paint is water based or my bad painting technic? Would it be better (ie. more attached, and resist to scratch/damage and can be wiped clean) if I were using solvent based paint? I'm thinking of painting the staircase, more traffic there so wouldn't want it to be easily scratched off or stained.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like water-based paint has been put on top of oil-based gloss and that you didn't sand down the surface enough before painting.

It sounds like water-based paint has been put on top of oil-based gloss and that you didn't sand down the surface enough before painting.

For the doors I think that's mostly true. But for the MDF skirting boards, it's primed, I sanded them before painting but still the same - for example, my speaker cable was against the skirting board and took off some paint when I moved it.

Besides the speaker cable, has the paint on the skirting board failed in other ways?

Sponsored Links
I've recently used Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood throughout my house and don't appear to have any of these issues.

I've recently used Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood throughout my house and don't appear to have any of these issues.

Did you paint on existing paints or prepared the surface? Could you share your the preparations you've done? And when totally dry, do you find dusts/micro fibres sticking to it or easily wipe off? Thanks

Did you paint on existing paints or prepared the surface? Could you share your the preparations you've done? And when totally dry, do you find dusts/micro fibres sticking to it or easily wipe off? Thanks

Firstly, I've just remembered I've used the Dulux Trade variant.

That said, if you look on the Screwfix reviews there are many people describing the same issues you are having with the trade version also.

Prep wise I've used the trade quick dry undercoat on some surfaces that were previously unpainted.

I've also used it straight onto factory primed skirting.

And I also painted some doors at my parents house which I just lightly sanded, primed and then applied the satinwood, these were previously coated with Gloss.

I did have to recoat the handrail at my parents due to similar issues you were having but I just put it down to the hand traffic, the other areas were fine.

Judging by the reviews there's definitely something afoot, I've noticed there seems to be quite a few different can labels for the same product, makes me wonder if Dulux have updated the recipe behind the scenes.

I did have to recoat the handrail at my parents due to similar issues you were having but I just put it down to the hand traffic, the other areas were fine.

I painted my mum's hallway with waterbased Eico. I only used the paint because of the lack of natural light. Skirtings, architraves and doors are fine but the hand rail needs constant repainting.

Waterbased finishes become soft as a result of the oils in peoples' skin. My mum's kitchen units were factory sprayed with a precat primer and finished with a waterbased paint. The doors have knobs and the paint near the knobs has worn away down to the primer, again because of the oils in peoples' skin.

I understand why people want to use waterbased paints but they are not as durable as their oil based counter parts.

I painted my mum's hallway with waterbased Eico. I only used the paint because of the lack of natural light. Skirtings, architraves and doors are fine but the hand rail needs constant repainting.

Waterbased finishes become soft as a result of the oils in peoples' skin. My mum's kitchen units were factory sprayed with a precat primer and finished with a waterbased paint. The doors have knobs and the paint near the knobs has worn away down to the primer, again because of the oils in peoples' skin.

I understand why people want to use waterbased paints but they are not as durable as their oil based counter parts.

I'm going to paint the staircase and think I should go with oil based paint - so will have to wait until next summer for it to dry quickly and I can have the windows open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back