Dulux silk - new paint looks different!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the rooms in my house have a coat of Dulux Magnolia matte, followed my Dulux Magnolia silk. This was done 10 years ago. Some of the walls have paint cracks, so I repaired them with filler and have decided to paint over.

But, the new Dulux magnolia silk looks like matte and of a significant different shade. It also does not look glossy/silky. Has something changed?

Here's some pics :

IMG-20220116-150304756.jpg

IMG-20220116-150323395.jpg

The problem I now face is I have to repaint all the walls in the room. Otherwise, one wall will look significantly different than the rest!

Sponsored Links
Trade is a different shade to silk. Mixed is different to off the shelf.
10 years is a long time and paint is a different product now.
Make sure you give it a good stir if it was a trade mixed although the retail should not be mixed as has thixotropic agent in. See tin for information

Trade is a different shade to silk. Mixed is different to off the shelf.
10 years is a long time and paint is a different product now.
Make sure you give it a good stir if it was a trade mixed although the retail should not be mixed as has thixotropic agent in. See tin for information

Neither the old or the new paint were trade ones. They were bog standard ones that you get at B&Q. I have stirred well before applying and this has not made a difference.

Since, the new paint that Dulux makes is different to what it used to make,

let's say if I have a crack in a wall of a room or there's a dent and I have to perform a repair, I will need to paint the whole wall and then all the remaining walls of the room.

:eek:

Sponsored Links
It still looks like silk to me if we're talking about the bottom picture.
Even today many magnolias are different colours, brilliant whites are even worse.
I suggest you buy Leyland trade magnolia silk, 10lt for £18 in screwfix and go over the whole room. It's coverage is excellent.
The problem with patches and touch ups is it's very difficult to blend in, especially if an area is being hit by window light.

It still looks like silk to me if we're talking about the bottom picture.
Even today many magnolias are different colours, brilliant whites are even worse.
I suggest you buy Leyland trade magnolia silk, 10lt for £18 in screwfix and go over the whole room. It's coverage is excellent.
The problem with patches and touch ups is it's very difficult to blend in, especially if an area is being hit by window light.

The new gloss paint is not different to Matt. It is no longer 'silk'y - no shine , no gloss.

Then I'd guess it is faulty. If silk is finished like matt there's definitely something wrong with it.
It wouldn't surprise me if someone's bought the silk, used a little bit and filled the tin back up with matt and got a refund for it. The tin has then just ended up back on the shelf!
Also a point to note is, if you put silk directly on top of filler it often dries matt where the filler is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back