Dulux Trade Interior Woodstain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to use woodstain on a cupboard, not MDF but I am told it is better quality wood, which has never been painted before and I have bought Dulux Trade Woodstain. Asking in the shop whether I needed to sandpaper the wood down first, I had two different replies from them, yes and no. Can anyone please advise whether I need to sandpaper and also if I put on two coats, will I need to sandpaper between coats. It is a big cupboard so don't want to do any unnecessary work. I looked at the Dulux Datasheet 605 as per the tin and it doesn't mention sanding. Thank you for any replies received.

Sponsored Links
May be worth sanding any unsightly raised areas in the wood, but don't go crazy as you may do more harm than good.

Any raised areas can be sanded after the first coat, this may not damage the wood as much.

It would be sensible to test the woodstain on some off cuts of wood first, as stain doesn't always give the desired effect.

Thank you Sparkwright, the wood has quite a grain in it so I was worried about spoiling it by sanding but I have an off cut that I will try the woodstain out on first. Many thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
I have just been told I need an olborne wood primer/undercoat before the woodstain, would you think that is really necessary on veneer? It is a big cupboard and a lot of work for me but I don't really want to cut corners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back