Dulux trade supermatt watering down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Freshly skimmed walls and ceiling are dry and have had a mist coat of cheapo Leyland contract with 10% water. Could have probably diluted further as the paint was dry in a minute - but that was the instruction. The walls will be receiving colour, but the ceiling will have further coats of white.

Chose a decent paint for the ceiling top coats... Dulux trade supermatt. Not like me to spend £35 on 10L of white emulsion, but I thought I’d go balls to the wall this time. The instructions on the pot surprised me. Talks about diluting for a mist coat up to 3:1 (not that I’d use the good stuff for that), but then talks about the top coats being up to 5:1 paint to water. What’s that about? I could certainly do this but seems strange that a paint suggests diluting before using.

Sponsored Links
Yes, those are the instructions. You are right, “up to” 5:1 dilution.

The paint does seem very thick, just wondering why I’d do this? Does it roller on better a little looser? Anyone used dulux trade suoermatt? What have they done?

Any decent emulsion will roller better if it's "eased" with water. That's been done in the trade for years;) In other words it's supplied thicker to allow the Dec. to judge

Sponsored Links
Trade paints are basically more concentrated versions of the same paint you would buy in the big sheds. So that is why they are more expensive and call for a greater dilution factor. I generally find them to go much further and produce a similar job to the cheaper alternatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back