Dulux trade vinyl Matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere that applying white paint before you add your final colour can show up imperfections that you can patch before adding your finish paint.

With this in mind, I have a tin of White Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt under the stairs. Can I apply this over the paint on the hallway walls (previous owner applied so no idea what it is although I have lightly abraded and washed with sugar soap) before adding my finish paint which is Dulux Luxurious Silk (colour - white cotton).

I've left it late in the day to ask this as I've just finished washing with sugar soap and rinsing and I'm now ready to paint so am looking for a quick reply.

What I don't want to do is add the vinyl matt if it will just make life harder for me.

It's just that the light in the hallway is poor and I keep finding little imperfections to patch so if I can just throw some white paint on and then patch the worst bits that would be good.

Cheers all!

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why you can't do this, just thin the white out a little if after you apply you decide to fill any areas you should apply a mistcoat of the white before you continue. One point though as you have used sugar soap give the walls a wash down with warm water to remove any residue.

Dec

Easier to shine an inspection lamp down the wall to pick up imperfections, cant really see how a coat of white paint will make much difference as its not a mist coat over new plaster which does show imperfections. Also the differences in the light at different times of day can show/hide flaws, an artificial light will pick these up regardless of light conditions.
No need to mist the whole wall after filling just spot prime the filled areas with watered down emulsion.

Edit: Apologies to TheDec if thats what you meant just read it that you'd do the whole wall but after re-reading think you mean spot prime

Sponsored Links
dcdec

No apology needed and no offence taken, it is as you say easier to brighten the work area to highlight any imperfections, yet the application of a thinned in this case white Emulsion would tend to prove helpful, and yes I did mean spot prime. ;)

Cheers

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back