Dulux weathershield gloss - 100 metres from the sea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New house - new softwood sash windows fitted 2 years ago.

I`m thinking of using

Dulux undercoat white & Dulux weathershield gloss.

Is there a better product than this gloss to keep repaainting to a minimum?

Also what filler is best to use where the glass meets the outside wood frame? - as some of the original filler/mastic/tape is a bit low in places. I have some Evostick frameseal smart seal.

Many thanks for any comments/advice.

Sponsored Links
All paints are changing their formulation right now to comply with the 2010 regulations so there aren't going to be very many people who have used the new paint outside yet.

The old Weathershield formulation had great lasting power especially in white but beware that this comes from its flexibility (softness). The downsides are that it takes ages to dry and remains soft for weeks. Any hard object can easily break the surface a week later. I would have thought this made it inappropriate for a sash window!! Perhaps a conventional indoor gloss (or even a quick drying gloss) would be better for the sliding parts and then you'll just have to accept it won't last quite as long.

I think the only requirements for the filler are that it is flexible and paintable. If the Evostik description confirms it is paintable it should be fine.

http://www.diydata.com/decorating/painting-windows/painting-sash-windows.php

No disrespect... but i totally diasagree. The Dulux weathershield exterior gloss system is great. Its more expensive but you get what you pay for. As the property is near the sea, the last thing you want is a acrylic paint, Ie waterbased as these are not flexible and will not move with the constant expansion and contraction of the timber. Water based paints just cant cope with this and thats why they always crack and flake off.
The gap near the glass can be filled with caulk or even a two pack filler as the glass will not expand the same and then the gloss must be taken onto the glass about a sixteenth of an inch to fill the edge.
The paint wont take that long to harden and will dry the same day in a breezy location if done on the right day.

Absolutely Robbie. In terms of durability there's nothing to touch Weathershield and I've used it on my own windows twice ... with a fifteen year gap in between!

But I hope you noticed this is for SASH windows. My openers stuck like mad. The first time I left them shut for a week I had to use a block of wood and a hammer to get them to shift. I only started getting a "clean open" last month and I painted them in October. I can't imagine what it would be like where one surface has to slide over the other !! If you've actually used Weathershield on the moving parts of sash windows and then opened them yourself afterward then I'll take your word for it. Otherwise I'm sticking with my original advice (just like his sashes will stick)

Sponsored Links
Yeah i know what you mean. Depends how much play is in the sash really. You have to go round opening and shutting them all day to keep them free. You can spray a little bit of silicon in the rebate of the sash when its dry to ease it.

The new paint coming along soon - does that mean they will sell off all the old weathershield? Should I wait or buy now? Weathershield part 2 undercoat and part 3 gloss will be tried.

These are wierd windows on long springs. They have plastic channels in the rebates.

I understand now about the soft paint - thanks. There is a plastic section that would rub on some wood as the sash`s slide up and down and then the furry weather seals and compression seals..

As the windows are quite small - maximum size 3ft6ins x 2ft each leaf the plan might be be to remove them for painting and putting up a frame with pvc to keep the seagulls out.

Many thanks for info and comments.

The new paint coming along soon - does that mean they will sell off all the old weathershield?
Yes, retailers have 12 months to sell-off the old formula. So you must inspect the tin to know which you're getting.

I understand now about the soft paint - thanks. There is a plastic section that would rub on some wood as the sash`s slide up and down and then the furry weather seals and compression seals.

Dulux are perfectly upfront - they’ve changed the formulation !
http://www.icipaints.co.uk/products/2010/differences.jsp

From what I can understand the softness issues etc are only going to get worse. Also, because they’ve changed the formula NO-ONE, either professional or amateur like me, can reliably tell you how this is going to affect the DURABILITY after 7 years in the salt/sun - only time will tell.

I can only give you my AMATEUR opinion, which is this:
- if you have painted surface sliding against painted suface then DON’T use Weathershield
- if on the outside you only have draught-seal brush sliding against painted surface then DO use Weathershield Exterior - it’s the definitely the most durable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back