Dumb Ass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a mate phone me and tell me this....

...just got to an emergency call out...someones had some electrical work done and their breaker for their downstairs ring had tripped. so i turned up...for the customer to say...'my upstairs sockets have their own fuse, it looks alright, but they've gone off as well' so after some investigation...

...some 'electrician' had done an alteration and managed to somehow spur from the wrong JB....the downstairs ring had all but 2 of the upstairs sockets spured from it and the other 2 upstairs (which the customer must'nt of 'checked') were in fact a 32A radial from the CU, which were 2 on their own in an 'unused' bedroom.

Dont ask me how they got confused - i dont know, i only know what my mate has just told me. for a second or so i found it funny, as did he, then we came to the conclusion that someones done that who's supposed to know what they're doing!

just thought id share that with you.

Sponsored Links
upstairs sockets spurred from downstairs ring was not uncommon at one time.

my guess is the radial was added later (possiblly because of a lack of suitable places left to spur from or because the fusebox was the easiest place to take wiring from) and someone after that mislabeled them as upstairs and downstairs (or they weren't labeled at all and the householder just assumed).

btw do you know if the radial was in cable acceptable for a 32A circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back