Fuse switch and upstairs sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fused socket in my kitchen that runs to a socket for the washing machine. Today the fuse blew and on trying to replace the fuse I broke the front cover. I have therefore had to replace the fused socket and now the trip switch for the upstairs sockets won't go on.

Im trying to work out if it's coincidence of whether something I have done with the wiring could be causing the problem. So to clarify

There are two cables coming from upstairs and one from downstairs (goes to one double socket). So the two blues from upstairs I have put into the N In the two Browns from upstairs into the L in. 1 earth from upstairs and 1 from downstairs into one earth socket. The Blue and Brown have gone into the outs and the remaining eart from upstairs into the earth on its own.

Can anyone see an obvious problem or am I just being very unlucky?

Sponsored Links
A bit confusing but, if I understand correctly, nothing seems obvious.

There's no such thing as a fused socket so I presume you mean a Fused Connection Unit -
with or without the neon light.
upload_2016-5-21_17-22-3.jpeg

I suspect you have pinched a wire against the back box or the front faceplate screws.

This is easily done by those not in the know, and would cause a short circuit.

Once you have restored the power, best keep the new 'fused connection unit' switched off - as presumably the washing machine is faulty as the fuse (I presume) blew.

If a wire has been pinched, the wire will need repairing properly.

You would need to check if the copper is damaged. If so, you will need to repair it properly.

If just the insulation is damaged, again a proper repair will be needed.

Let us know.

Sponsored Links
You imply the switch controls a DOUBLE socket. If the socket has two heavy appliances used at the same time then this could be the reason the fuse blew in the FCU.

It sounds like the 2 cables from the upstairs ring are on live side, and the double socket hes connected to load side, so I assume the double socket is for the washing machine

Is the washing machine unplugged when you try to reset the MCB

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it is a pinched cable as I've even tried switching it on when it's not been screwed back to the wall. I haven't tried unplugging the washing machine as its awkward for me to move as a woman living alone. I think I'll just have to cope without the upstairs sockets until I can get an electrician in. And yes it is a fused connection unit.

They will have to wait until tomorrow because it's in a cupboard and will mean I need to pull out the tumble dryer

did you try resetting the mcb trip, with your new FCU in the off position, thats the equivalent of unplugging the washing machine, so you may not need to pull the machine out yet

Yes I've tried that and it just will not switch on. The reason the fuse blew in the first place was because I put on three appliances at once. The tumble dryer is in an extension lead which is plugged into the double socket. I knew that I could only have two on at a time but I absentminded forgot. I apologise if I've been using the wrong terminology for terminals and sockets and stuff but being recently widowed this is all new to me. I think I'm going to have to just get an electrician in.

Just a hunch, not quite sure exactly what your trip switch is, but sometimes you need to push the trip switch all the way down, then push up to the on position.

Just an idea.

Work safely, and don't be afraid to get an electrician round.

One thing I have tried which I'm not sure proves anything is that I have turned the mains power off at the box and tried switching the fuse on when there is no power at all and it still won't switch on. Could it just be an unlucky coincidence and the trip could be faulty? Sorry if I've used the wrong terminology again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back