Switches/Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced a load of light switches and sockets in the living room.

On replacing 1 of the sockets I blew the 5 amp fuse. Although I've repaired the fuse, the upstairs lights together with the lights in the part of the living room I had been working in refuse to light.

The wiring for many of the sockets and switches is extremely short and constantly has been coming out of the new sockets /switches (causing the short). Do you think I still have problems with the fuse or is it more likely to be one of the switches.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a live or switched feed is not making contact

Paul6756 said:
I've just replaced a load of light switches and sockets in the living room.

On replacing 1 of the sockets I blew the 5 amp fuse. Although I've repaired the fuse, the upstairs lights together with the lights in the part of the living room I had been working in refuse to light.

The wiring for many of the sockets and switches is extremely short and constantly has been coming out of the new sockets /switches (causing the short). Do you think I still have problems with the fuse or is it more likely to be one of the switches.

Thanks.

socket on the lighting circuit?

Do you have 1 or 2 lighting circuits? Are any lights working at all? If a few are, then its possible you have removed a link live wire somewhere at the back of a switch.

Sponsored Links
When you say 'repaired the fuse'......

Do you know what caused the fuse to blow in the first place ? Are you sure the 'repaired' fuse hasn't blown again ? If the fuse keeps going then you have a stray live wire touching either a neutral or an earthed point...

i presume by repaired he meant fitting new fusewire to a rewirable carrier

I got that bit ;)

Point was that, much like the person in Maplin's demanding to have his box of ten fuses replaced because they'd all blown and were therefore a faulty batch, he needs to make sure he's removed the fault first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back