Wiring/Fuse Question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my house there was an approx. 3 mm thick grey wire extruding from the brickwork at the back about 2.5 metres from the floor. I figured out this was connected to a switch in the nearest bedroom which has a fuse point and light below the switch.

I wired the cable into a junction box and then wired two spurs coming out of the box one to a light located next to the junction box and one to a light round the corner about 5 to 6 metres away. One light is 60 Watt and the other not sure (need to check) but its a halogen type with motion sensor. There is also a motion sensor on the 60 watt one. I know both lights work and the cable is live as tested each light individually before mounting the junction box using a 3 amp fuse.

With everything wired up when I switched the power on at the main fuse board it blew the fuse in the socket (as the socket light went off) and tripped the main fuse box resulting in none of the sockets in the house working unless I turned the switch in the room to off and flicked the trip switch back. The fuse in the socket was 3 amp when I did this. I suspect this is insufficient ? Can anyone advise me the correct amp fuse to use or have I made any other obvious mistakes.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
3 amp is plenty.

Your lighting cirucit has 5-6 amp fuse, and that has many fittings on it.

Can you possibly take photos of each electrical accessory you mention, as I cant quite make out what you are talking about!

Up load them here and copy the links here.

Its an MK Junction Box.... grey with water tight seals on the entries and joints with four possible connection points and exits/entry points.

In the box for the input I wired red, black and earth to the top connector then from this I had two reds of the same thickness/type coming out from the red one going to the left hand connector and one to the bottom connector, then did the same for black. Then for the two wires coming out to the light connected up reds and blacks accordingly then earth into one of the two spare connection points.

Sorry my terminology is probably way off the mark !!

Sponsored Links
Alaska1977 said:
When I moved into my house there was an approx. 3 mm thick grey wire extruding from the brickwork at the back about 2.5 metres from the floor. I figured out this was connected to a switch in the nearest bedroom which has a fuse point and light below the switch.

Tell me how you figured it out.

In http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/alaska1977/CIMG2070.jpg?t=1190481101 you seem to have wired it as if all the terminals in each of the blocks are isolated from each other.

Use your multimeter to see if all the terminals in each block are connected to all the other terminals in that block, and therefore you should be putting the reds into one block, the blacks into another.

also buy yourself some green and yellow earth sheathing.

John, I figured it out by wiring up one light to the external wire and finding that the switch controlled it.

In terms of the Junction box the red input is connected to both red out puts, same for the blacks with the earths isolated at each connector, ie not joined across the connector. The photo shows the input wire disconnected as I did this until such time that i figure the problem.

Thanks

JohnD said:
Use your multimeter to see if all the terminals in each block are connected to all the other terminals in that block

have you done that yet?

Alaska, as neat as that looks, its very very very wrong!

Each row of terminals - if you imagine it without the plastic cover, you'd just see a metal strip with terminals in it.

You connect all your lives to one strip, all your neutrals to another strip,and all your earths to another strip.

As it is, you've connect L N and E together at no fewer than 3 points! ;) Its no wonder you're popping fuses!

EDIT and why did you not see fit to interconnect the earth wires?

Steve,

That'll be it then !! Guess it would have helped if the Junction box arrived with some instructions, but they you go.

Thanks for your time in advising me. Will attempt to sort it tomorrow.

Phil

Fit the terminal block at 45 degrees in the box. The cables can then enter through the spaces between the blocks, and fan out to the three blocks you will be using instead of cramped behind the terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back