Dunlop Waterproofing Smell!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

My Plasterer has left me some 'Dunlop Waterproofing Coating' from his stash at home - very nice of him I thought, but I think he's pulling a fast one. To me it smells like watered down PVA - strange that as it's also in a PVA tub!

I'm thinking if it walks like a duck, smells like a duck then it's a duck! Trouble is I have no idea what the smells like if you get what I mean ;)

Anyway my question is: Should I spread this stuff on my freshly plastered walls before tiling the shower and hope for the best or should I wander over to screwfix and get some trusted dunlop waterproofing? The latter me thinks.

BTW I've not been charged anything for the stuff he left so I'm not out of pocket.

Sponsored Links
Anyway my question is: Should I spread this stuff on my freshly plastered walls before tiling the shower and hope for the best or should I wander over to screwfix and get some trusted dunlop waterproofing? The latter me thinks.
I think you answered your own question ;) . BAL WP1 liquid membrane is grey in colour, has a fairly thick consistency & is applied in 1mm thick coats! BAL & Dunlop are under the same company umbrella so I suspect the two products are similar if not the same. What your plasterer may have given you is an SBR primer in the mistaken belief that this is OK as a tanking agent but it’s basically a waterproofing primer. If you use it, you may have problems with tile adhesion but if it’s conventional PVA he’s given you (which remains water soluble) you definitely don’t want to be using it on a tile base in a wet area or your tiles could end up on the floor. :cry:

As Richard has said, the Dunlop gear is a very light grey, and has a creamy consistency.
The guy has either gave you as you rightly assume " PVA" or as Richard said, SBR or the equivalent

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back