Duo power plugs into tiles/through wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried to use a duo power plug in a tile 6mm but it wouldn't go in. I've tried to hammer it through wood into a wall too and couldn't get it through. Too squidgy maybe.

Had to use those rubbish red plastic ones that pull out. Ended up wrapping screw in electric tape to get a strong fixing Are the duo too good for these materials?

Circled duo power. They've never spinned around or pulled out on me in brick or plaster. Brilliant in that material.
20220106_174447.jpg
20220107_113543.jpg

Sponsored Links
Duo plugs have a lip on the end to stop them pushing through. Cut it off or use the type of plug which can be pushed under. Uno plugs are just the same

Last edited by a moderator:
Duo plugs have a lip on the end to stop them pushing through. Cut it off or use the type of plug which can be pushed under. Uno plugs bare just the same
Cut 5mm off top (area circled)? Are normal plastic plugs uno? Singluar
20220107_114628.jpg

Just the lip bit. Uno is a type of plug that Rawl have been foisting on us for a few years. Better plugs (at least from a trade perspective) are ones without lips because you can drill through a piece of wood and into a wall the push them through the wood into the wall before inserting the screw. Anything with a lip will prevent you doing this as you have discovered, ergo you have to cut the lip off, which is a waste of time and effort

Sponsored Links
Just the lip bit. Uno is a type of plug that Rawl have been foisting on us for a few years. Better plugs (at least from a trade perspective) are ones without lips because you can drill through a piece of wood and into a wall the push them through the wood into the wall before inserting the screw. Anything with a lip will prevent you doing this as you have discovered, ergo you have to cut the lip off, which is a waste of time and effort

I couldn't even get the 6mm duo power anywhere near lip on tile. It stopped going in with 5mm protruding. Didnt hammer it in though like in normal walls

You said you tried to hammer thru timber ?

Not with tile, I think I meant when screwing baton to masonry I hammer a plug through wood into wall with a long screw inserted

What 6mm drill bit are you using?
Chinese ones tempt to be a bit smaller or bigger than 6mm.

It’s obvious from photo the hole you drilled is too small for the plug you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back