durgo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an internal soil stack which used to vent through the roof, after some roof repairs i cut it below the roof and fitted an air admittance valve ( durgo)
Could someone advice how low i can take the soil pipe with the aav fitted.

Sponsored Links
You probably shouldn't have done what you did. Your Building Control Officer should be consulted about alterations to soil stack.

durgo.gif

You now have a build up of methane gas which has nowhere to go as the AAV does not allow gases out.. :eek:

Do as Chris says and seek advice from BCO.

Sponsored Links
The guy in the plumbers merchants said this was ok to do, has been in for over 3 years now, i live in the middle house of 5 terraced propertys all sharing the same sewer, surely any methane will go up and out of neighbouring propertys soill stacks which still vent to outside???
I only want to go lower because i am wanting to have a central heating boiler fitted and the line of the flue would clash with the soil stack.....what do you define as the flood level???

And what happens if all you neighbours do the same thing ! Regs state there has to be a primary soil stack vented out side.

of course i listen to advice, i was given advice 3 years ago and have had no problem since....the assumption on here seems to be that if everybody on my block fits a durgo then i might have a problem....thats not likely to happen to 4 other properties and it will be easy to see if anyone else starts work anyway.

merseyscouse said:
of course i listen to advice, i was given advice 3 years ago and have had no problem since....the assumption on here seems to be that if everybody on my block fits a durgo then i might have a problem....thats not likely to happen to 4 other properties and it will be easy to see if anyone else starts work anyway.
Maybe, but the regs still say your primary stack should be open vented, so you may have a problem when coming to sell, or, its hardly a decent argument trying to stop your neighbours doing the same 'because you have already done it'. Why do something contrary to the regs and build in an unnecessary dependency on your nieghbours over which you have no control !

Maybe, but the regs still say your primary stack should be open vented, so you may have a problem when coming to sell, or, its hardly a decent argument trying to stop your neighbours doing the same 'because you have already done it'. Why do something contrary to the regs and build in an unnecessary dependency on your nieghbours over which you have no control !

point taken, can i just ring up and ask or am i going to have to submit drawings, plans????

bathjobby said:
merseyscouse said:

My Dad has recently moved into a house built approx 5 years ago, with 2 toilets and a durgo in the loft - no external open vented stack at all!

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back