Dusk Dawn sensor trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dusk/dawn sensor for my gate post lights. It is fed from a RCD in a consumer unit. Most times when the sensor turns itself OFF it trips the RCD.

I have replaced the sensor (like for like) and it is no better. I have Mega tested the wiring to ensure insulation is good. I have upgraded the RCD to 30 amp.

It still trips!!!

HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>>> please

Sponsored Links
its nuisance tripping.take it off the rcd it doesnt need to be on there

If only it were that simple. The gate lights feed is from a small consumer unit in the Garage; which in turn is fed from the main house consumer unit.

Lately when the garage RCD trips it also takes out its feed from the house consumer unit.

Dilema here is that I have a big fridge / freezer in the garage, which I can't afford to go down.

Can I still do as you say and not threaten the feed to the garage?

Thanks

Do not remove the RCD. It is there to provide protection for more than that light.

To find fault you will have to do this be a process of elimination, First remove the gate light connection to the sensor, does RCD still trip?
If it doesnt trip then its one of the gate lights or its wiring.
If it does trip then its the sensor or other wiring that feeds the sensor.

Sponsored Links
I have upgraded the RCD to 30 amp.
This worries me. Is it an RCD or an MCB that is tripping? If its an MCB and you've wanged a 30 amp one in there, CHANGE IT BACK IMMEDIATELY.

Also, if you have 2 RCDs in a line, either or both could trip as they have the same trip rating (30milliAmps).

For a start what you could do is put the feed to the garage on the NON-RCD feed.

Then use a simple mainswitch in the garage, and an RCBO for the sockets. An RCBO is an MCB and RCD in one, and simply replaces an MCB. ;)

Oh $hit... it is a MCB! I will change it back.

Then I think I will call in an Electrician. I can't isolate the lights as Taylortwocities suggests as it trips when turning them off not when turning them on.

Clearly I am out of my depth here.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back