Dust in smoke alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I posted in the alarms thread regarding a smoke alarm which had decided to go off by itself early one morning, but am still none the wiser.

The alarm, which is an ioniser type, has spent many years in a dusty environment; my question is would vacuuming this be effective (of course assuming that a dust build up would be the cause of it going off)?

Or should I throw it away and get a replacement?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Removing the dust may help, but given that it is 'many years' old, it is probably due for replacement anyway.

are the ionising ones the type with a radioactive source in them?

given that the Americium has a half life of 458 years, I don't think they'll have reached their "best before" date just yet..

BTW.. if there is a fire, don't breathe near these type, you'll be inhaling radioactive dust along with the smoke.. :eek: ;)

strip it down and clean might be a good idea :idea: :)

probably not the best advice to be dismantling something that contains redioactive material..

a good vacuum or a blow out with a can of compressed air might do the trick..

Sponsored Links
are the ionising ones the type with a radioactive source in them?

They certainly are. They are also the ones which go off when you open the oven door, fry anything in a pan or use a toaster.

Most smoke alarms should be replaced after 10 years.

I agree, flameport (good name for this thread).

Smoke alrams are cheap enough for the safety they provide.
Treat it like a woman - if its unreliable, don't mess about, get a new one! :LOL:

OK cheers I'll get the vacuum on it and see what happens.

You can guarantee that if it doesn't fix it, the alarm WILL go off at about 4am to remind me!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back