DVD -> TV sound missing

I

imamartian

Just wired up my new plasma, to sky box and dvd player. Have played a couple of music dvd's, which play fine, and even an Al Murray DVD.

However, if i put Saving Private Ryan on, vision is fine, and the background sound is fine, but you can't hear the main characters speak. And it's the same on Pirate's of the Carribean.

Connection is scart from sky to dvd, and scart from dvd to tv, and then digital cable to surround sound.

Do i need anything more than a scart to carry all the sound from my dvd to my tv?
The scart plug itself is fine as have just bought a new one and it's the same :(

Thanks

Sponsored Links
might be the Dolby 5:1 isn't set up right

Do you have surround sound, and have you found the menu to set it up as stereo, or the various other options? And you haven't got any channels set to nil volume?

My home cinema amp has its own decoder and I use that, but the DVD has lots of sound channel outputs (but you need lots of phono cables that way)

Breezer - yeah dvd's played fine on the same dvd player with my old telly.

John - i don't think my surround sound system is relevant as it's after the tv. The tv has phono audio out, and the dvd player has fivr surround sound plugs in. But i would've thought a scart would carry the lot.
And if one of the channels was set to nil volume, would i have still heard Al Murray? But i will go throught he menu.

Thanks gents

Sponsored Links
I agree with johnd you will cure the problem with audio settings on your dvd player . It will be set to 5.1 at the moment which enables your surround sound speakers, but if you are connecting to the tv via the scart this only carries stereo to the tv. therefore you need to set your audio output settings on the dvd to stereo and not 5.1 as it is now

I agree with johnd you will cure the problem with audio settings on your dvd player . It will be set to 5.1 at the moment which enables your surround sound speakers, but if you are connecting to the tv via the scart this only carries stereo to the tv. therefore you need to set your audio output settings on the dvd to stereo and not 5.1 as it is now

Agree 5.1 into TV is no good its only picking up the two front L+R channels and most speech comes from front central speaker. If your surround sound is after the TV then it needs to be wired directly you should have a 5.1 or optical input on the back of it to accept the DVD player.

Finally got it to work - thanks guys - couldn't find a 5.1/stereo setting on my dvd player, but did change a setting called Downmix mode. It was set to off, and my options were lt/rt or stereo and both worked (although the speech is a bit out of synch with the visual).

Don't understand what i've done, but it's a start.

the reason it is probably slow is due to it going to the TV then off to the Surround sound receiver. try to connect it directly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back