DVD's are in Black and White with New Sony Bravia TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Not sure if this is a DIY question, however I did try doing it myself to avial!

We have a new Sony Bravia TV (Model TV KDL 26S2010U), which is connected to my existing Pioneer DVD player (Model XV-DV303). However, when I play a DVD the picture on the TV is black and white.

The connection from the TV is a scart to an S-Video connection on the DVD player. The DVD player worked fine with the old TV.

Any idea would be most welcome please.

Thank you for any help at all.

Sponsored Links
You have a mismatch between your output signal to your input signal. Your tv scart input will usually default to composite signal input which would come from your dvd,s scart socket to your tv,s scart socket. You would then need a scart to scart connector. The other option and maybe the simpler option is that at the back of the tv there will be up to four input scart sockets and one of them will be enabled for s-video so it may be a simple matter of swapping your scart plug over to try each socket. then selecting different av,s on your remote control. The last possibility is that some manufacturers will allow you to select different input signals into each scart socket via the software if this is the case refer to the user manual under av inputs and this will explain.

Thanks Tockworth for your reply.

The Pioneer DVD XV-DV303 doesn't have any scart sockets and the Sony Bravia TV KDL 26S2010U only has two scart (one of which is a smartlink). I have the smartlink scart from the TV connected to the S Video on the DVD player. Should I use the other scart socket on the DVD?

just clarify that your first statement is the dvd player does not have a scart socket but yor last statement asks whether you should use the other scart socket on the dvd player.

Sponsored Links
Good spot should be TV!

The DVD has no scarts. Would the smartlink scart on the TV be a special conection compared with the other one on the TV? I'll try using the standard scart socket on the TV tonight.

Yes try the other scart socket on the tv if that does not work refer to the tv user manual under av input chapter and it should tell you how to enable scart sockets to accept s-video input.It will only be a setting you configure with your remote control. s-video input is a combination of two colour input signals plus a separate luminance signal you may find it enables under RGB setting.

Tried the other scart on the TV - no joy - still B&W. No instructions on enabling scart sockets to accept S-Video, the only way I can get a colour picture playing DVDs is to use the red, white and yellow leads into the side of the TV without the scart to S-Video leads - the wires look a right mess!

Why don't Sony tell you how to toggle between S-Video On and S-Video Off?

Thanks for you help on this matter.

ok just looked up the specs for this model and it states that there is a seperate s-video input connection on the tv. It is possible it may be within a flap or door somewere at the back of the tv this is why you may have overlooked it, this being the case it would only require a s-video to s-video lead to connect

The TV does have a seperate S-Video input connection, however, it's at the side of the TV. I could get a cable for both S-Video sockets, but the cable would stick out the side of the TV! Hopefully there is another way?

Unfortunately I fear not in pre- modern tv,s the be all and end all was the scart socket which was the modern way of connecting all inputs into the tv as the scart plug had many connections all inputs were covered in this multiplug and the user would just enable the tv via the remote control for that particular input signal. Modern digital tv,s now have these dedicated input sockets as an alternative and I would be surprised now if you could connect from s-video to your tv scart socket. I agree with your opinion of mounting input sockets on the side of the tv I think this is a huge oversight by the manufacturers and potential buyers should bear this in mind when choosing a tv.It is also unusual for your dvd player not to have a scart output it is just an unfortunate combination.

You are correct that the Bravia cannot take an S video source in the Scart sockets :oops: (But it can take virtually everything else).

Unfortunately your DVD doesn't appear to send component as this would be far better in anycase (and go in the back).

Your options would appear to be either to go S vid in the side AV connector or composite (horrible) in the back TV connector (either SCART should accept composite).

Another option would be to get a scan convertor from SVid to component but I doubt this would be worth it.

Thanks Tockworth and Ninjacat most helpful indeed. Looks like the cables will be going in and out when we watch a DVD from now on! Shame the Bravia doesn't support this method of connection, but then I guess the manufacturers will always encourage you to buy new equipment by not back dating old connections, like you guys have pointed out it does take all the new forms of connections.

Another suggestion... have a look through the DVD setup menus. The player might well have an option to change the output to RGB or composite. Try both of those options through both SCARTS too.

I would be very surprised if the DVD can't output composite - but its of a slightly lower quality, so not normally enabled by default.

I have tried to find a setting on the DVD player but no joy. I have just ordered an S-Video to S-Video lead to connect the TV via the side (nasty) to the DVD player.

im not a proffesional but have a problem with a scart lead some are made so bad, that when you take them out the cover dislodges and restricts the amount of access the connection has to any unit.

Or may possibly it interfers with the connections inside the lead plug as it causes me to receive a black and white picture and some times lose of sound or fuzzy sound.

OJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back