DVR and Cameras on Different Phases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

When installing a CCTV system where the cameras are SELV, is it acceptable to install the power supply unit on a different phase to the DVR?

Sponsored Links
As the cameras run on smoothed DC and is separated then it shouldn't matter.

Hi There,

When installing a CCTV system where the cameras are SELV, is it acceptable to install the power supply unit on a different phase to the DVR?
A fairly common occurence on commercial/industrial jobs if wanting to keep power cable runs to a minimum.

Sponsored Links
I can't say i have done as suggested, by a mate used to do it, and they always used to run all cameras from the same supply to avoid problems. even if that means running 4mm's for sockets they would do it.

I have also heard of a device called a humbug its designed for cctv use to reove the "hum" of different earths

I can't say i have done as suggested, by a mate used to do it, and they always used to run all cameras from the same supply to avoid problems. even if that means running 4mm's for sockets they would do it.

I have also heard of a device called a humbug its designed for cctv use to reove the "hum" of different earths

There are 2 PSU's (1 Per Floor, 8 Way with battery backup)

The DVR and psu's are on a different phase, the DVR is at one end of the building and the cameras are central. It was done like this to minimise power cable runs.

Thanks for mentioning that humbug, it may come in useful as I have one camera that is "wobbling"

yep, the humbug's are the way 4ward!
iv used them many of times on system's that use more than 1 phase!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back