Dwarf Joke

Joe ..... is every joke about a white man racist ..... is every joke about about a black man racist ..... I think it really is down to the 'intention' if you are deliberately trying to cast a slur on someone and be insulting, then no its not nice.
But light-hearted fun...have we lost the ability just to laugh at ourselves a little.... does it always have to cause offence.

I'm sure it would if you had a child that was thus afflicted. We have a guy just down the way from here who is a dwarf and doesn't think it a laughing matter.

If what you say is true then why don't they ever show repeats of Alf Garnett or Eddie Booth?

Sponsored Links
Joe ...I would hope that having seen my posts on here you have me weighed up pretty well and know that I would not want to deliberately cause offence to anyone.

But I do stick by my comment that we have lost the ability to laugh at ourselves .... and I don't always think that we are better off for it.

I agree.

As a kid I loved Billy Bunter books, but the main humour throughout was:

Billy Bunter - the fat kid.

Tom Dutton - the deaf kid.

And Huree Jamset Ram Singh - the Asian kid.

And Enid Blyton was always going on about the 'Bad Gollywogs'.

Sponsored Links
We have a guy just down the way from here who is a dwarf and doesn't think it a laughing matter.

He should grow up a bit. :LOL:

Not be so highly strung. :LOL:

Rise above it. :LOL:

Stand tall. :LOL:

Look down on such comments. :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

a dwarf with a lisp goes to buy a horse, 'what are you looking for' asks the owner, A Female Horth' said the dwarf. The owner shows him a nice mare. ;Nithe horth' said the dwarf, can i thee her eythe'? said the dwarf, the owner picks up the dwarf and shows him her eyes'' Nithe eyeth, said the dwarf, can i thee her teeth''? the owner lifts the dwarf up and shows him her teeth'' Nithe teeth says the dwarf'' Can i thee her twot'' so the owner feeling fed up, picked up the dwarf, shoves his head up the mares fanny and pulls him out a few seconds later, I'll weefraze that said the dwarf, can i thee her wun awound.

I drove into the back of a dwarfs car, he jumped out and said "I'm not happy", I said "so which one are you"

I think it's a funny joke. Just because a joke is about a minority doesn't mean that they are being victimised.

Dwarves are short, of course. Pointing that out in a joke isn't quite the same as making some outlandish statement about a minority, it's a fact.

If I was a dwarf, I might or might not find it funny. But that doesn't mean it isn't (or is for that matter)

Let's be sensible, that was a harmless funny little joke.
I'd also argue that jokes about black people/ Irish / Chinese etc aren't always racist.

Example:

Chinese couple on their wedding night.
Man says "I really fancy a 69."
Wife says "if you think I'm cooking at this time of night you've got another thing coming!"

racist? I'd say no.
Sexist? I'd say no.
It's a joke, and I think it's funny.

I'm sure it would if you had a child that was thus afflicted

my youngest was born with club feet(bi lateral tailepies),he had to have his feet operated on at 4mths old.

couple of years ago he was involved in his school sports day,in a running race.
there i was shouting out my encourgement RUN FOREST RUN.

1 bloke came up to me ranting saying i shouldnt be doing that and after a few heated words he walked away.
i find anything and everything funny as long as there is no malice intended to a individual,if someone tells me a joke about an english person and i find it funny then i will laugh if i dont then i wont.

ITS CALLED HUMOUR,something a lot of people seem to have forgotton.

Is it right to laugh at someone's misfortune though ie a dwarf, someone with Downs Syndrome, etc? I'm fairly confident that most of the people in those two groups wouldn't enjoy having a joke told about their condition. And it is, for the most part, about their 'condition' not about the person. I think that's where the 'harm' can sometimes be done. NO ONE wants to be a dwarf, have Downs Syndrome etc but they have it and have to live with it. They want to be accepted as a normal/average part of society. We never hear a joke that starts/contains the line: "A normal/average bloke walks into a bar...". Yes you will hear a joke that contains the line: "Bloke walks into a bar..." but the second line makes NO reference to the bloke's physical, mental abilities etc. The original joke in this thread may well be a 'play on words', a pun, but there is no getting away from the fact that those words are directly pointing toward the condition of dwarfism ie 'little'.

I whole heartedly agree, we need a sense of humour, especially with a government like this, but does humour have to point toward people's disabilities, their appearance, their mental ability, the colour of their skin/hair? NONE of those can be helped. You're either born that way or suffer some terrible accident or contract some awful disease etc. The LAST THING most people want is to have their particular disability, colour, appearance, etc etc pointed out.

Joe is right, if it's all ok then why isn't Alf Garnet, Love Thy Neighbour, Watch Your Language etc etc back on the box?

By the way, I'm no angel! Just like everyone else here, I've grown up with all the racist, poor taste jokes and perhaps I still see some humour in some of them but would I miss them if they weren't there? I doubt it. There are lots of things we can joke about without resorting to pointing out peoples disabilities. And I think it is possibly only those particular jokes that I am starting to see as hurtful.

Give me an example of a joke (based on human behaviour) that doesn't imply the failings or differences of another person's characteristics.

Sponsored Links
Back