Dyson am07 fan dead....

Yeah ive fully stripped it down and all there is , is a circut board a motor with a leaver arm that makes it turn and a 220v motor for the cyclone

I cant find any fault that i now of so i have put it all back togeather dyson has offered to fix for 99.00 all parts collection and deliver included

They offer a new motor at 70 quid which i could fit myself but would a dead motor cause no signs of life at all in the sense of the on lcd display

Sponsored Links
I cant find any fault that i now of so i have put it all back togeather dyson has offered to fix for 99.00 all parts collection and deliver included

They offer a new motor at 70 quid
Just buy a normal fan with an AC induction motor and it'll run until the bearings give up.
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif

It's a bonkers product. For some reason designers these days are infected with the desire to load all sorts of pointless technology into products because they can, and consumers are infected with the desire to buy those products because they are cool, and at no point does either group stop to think about whether all the cool features and functions are of any use at all, or whether they are just the electronic equivalent of go-faster stripes on cars (but less reliable).

Heard a woman on the radio the other day complaining that her bathroom scales were now only any use as a doorstop because they communicated wirelessly with an app on her phone (and that was the only way they worked), and they aren't compatible with the latest wifi protocols. She wanted a law to force makers to build products which would be compatible with as-yet unknown future technology.

I thought she should grow some common sense and ask herself just WT* is wrong with scales which display your weight when you stand on them.

Maybe she can't see the scale display because part of her anatomy is blocking the view :p
But I agree that we are now being offered products where manufacturers have decided that 'form' is better than 'function'
If today's 'smart' tools were really smart then all the population would be capable of using them intuitively rather than just the 3-year olds who know no better and the nerds who think no better.

Yeah i understand what you guys are saying but the innings of this fan dont seem that complex or am i missing something like i say there is just a 220v motor and a board

I am willing to purchase a new motor for 70 from dyson but if the motor is burnt out would it cause the machine not to turn on like i say no led lights or any sign of life or with this come.more from a faulty board is it that i need to buy which i can get for 60 quid

Sponsored Links
"...but the innings of this fan dont seem that complex..."

Yeh, fairly simple, just a full blown computer tied to a few triacs (or whatever) to create a pseudo-3phase variable frequency voltage for a motor. Nothing that a bit of wet string and a prayer cannot overcome. No LEDs illuminated should suggest the problem lies elsewhere other than the motor.

Yeah so are you saying my best bet is to send back to dyson for 99quid and let them sort it... i seem to be getting no where and no local repair shops want to touch these fans...
It seems with the local store's like im asking for them to look at my intergalactic spaceship... like surley for a good tecno person this should not be hard to faultfind

These are the only 3 electrical parts inside the fan aswell as the motor itself i just need to find out which one it is that it causeing the fault i very much doubt its the turner so has got to be one of the other 3

Attachments

• 20180819_172354.jpg
    20180819_172354.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 20180819_172413.jpg
    20180819_172413.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 20180819_172422.jpg
    20180819_172422.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 290
And you expect some one-man shop to go to the expense of trying things out when Dyson have the where-with-all to effect a proper repair at no risk to their business.
Why don't you just buy a replacement board and bdlc motor for £100++ and save Dyson the bother.

Well i want the cheapest option... if i can be sure its the board at fault then i can get one and do it my self for 60quid the motor 79quid the lcd part for 30quid i need to know what is my best option but i dont know this until i know what part has failed.. dyson want 99.00 to repair including any parts it needs to get going again

If i need to buy a board and a motor this is gonna cost me over 100quid plus my time to do it and in that case i might as well send it off to dyson for the all in repair for 99.00

Well i want the cheapest option
Then throw the Dyson away (or flog it for spares/repair, buyer collect, on eBay), and go and buy this sort of thing:

upload_2018-8-19_20-40-5.png

for a fraction of the price that it will cost you to fix yours. Also, if it broke once, why should it not break again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back