Dyson am07 fan dead....

Sponsored Links
I see the criticism and laughs from those who probably don't own any Dyson products, but I'm with Mark1919 to some degree - the fans are very good, remote controllable, extremely quiet, and the directional fanning "vortex' bit really does work - i get a blast of air all night and the wife gets nothing, as she likes.

I got sick of cheap fans that were noisy and vibrated, and so we got 2 Dyson ones instead (A hot and cool, and a cool).

I'd just pay the £99 and be done with it - chances are you will receive a new / refurb unit and be sorted - your dud unit will get refurbed and sent on to someone else. I had an issue with 1 of mine within warranty, and they promptly send a replacement and paid the shipping for the faulty unit to be returned - no hassle at all.

I see the criticism and laughs from those who probably don't own any Dyson products, but I'm with Mark1919 to some degree - the fans are very good, remote controllable, extremely quiet
And stupidly expensive and totally reliant on unnecessarily complicated tech which when it breaks renders the fan useless and expensive to repair.

And stupidly expensive and totally reliant on unnecessarily complicated tech which when it breaks renders the fan useless and expensive to repair.

Find me a fan that is as quiet and directional for less, and I'll gladly buy it....

Sponsored Links
Find me an intelligent explanation of why those features are worth £380 plus ongoing repair costs of £100 every few years, and I'll buy that.

But until then I'll stick with "stupidly expensive and totally reliant on unnecessarily complicated tech which when it breaks renders the fan useless and expensive to repair", and point out that that level of investment goes a long way (or a worthwhile way with top-price makes) towards an A/C unit.

Find me an intelligent explanation of why those features are worth £380 plus ongoing repair costs of £100 every few years, and I'll buy that.

My ability to sleep in hot weather, which is close to priceless to me - especially over the past couple of months.

£380 buys a unit that heats as well as cools, the cool only devices are available for less than half the price.

I have incurred no repair costs in 5 years - maybe the OP's device needs repair because it was mistreated? We will never know.

Yeah i do have to say this fan did stop working when i took it to work and it was running for hours straight , if i though i was going to get a new unit for the 99.00 i would deffo do that but that maybe not the case dyson have a 14 day return policy on all parts they supply so i think im gonna get them to send out a new motor and a pcb board and see which one fixes the fault and return the one thats not needed , these fans are very silent ive had many of chepo fans that rattle like mad and you get even more responce's then saying put them in the bin when you have only paid 20 quid... i have a old fan now that rattle and vibrates like mad that i cant fix

I do have to say these are overpriced for what parts you get spesh when you open them up and see what you have got but that dyson research cost has to be payed back somehow

Interesting, you can buy a portable air conditioning unit for less than £400. I work a lot with appliances, the older Dyson stuff used to be quite good. Easy and cost effective to repair, the newer stuff is just overpriced bits of flimsy plastic. I'm not a fan...

:p

Yeah i do have to say this fan did stop working when i took it to work and it was running for hours straight , if i though i was going to get a new unit for the 99.00 i would deffo do that but that maybe not the case dyson have a 14 day return policy on all parts they supply so i think im gonna get them to send out a new motor and a pcb board and see which one fixes the fault and return the one thats not needed , these fans are very silent ive had many of chepo fans that rattle like mad and you get even more responce's then saying put them in the bin when you have only paid 20 quid... i have a old fan now that rattle and vibrates like mad that i cant fix
You will only be able to return the parts if the packaging is unopened, so unless you get lucky you are not going to save any money.

Dyson has esured me that i can return what parts are not needed to fix the fan my first part to try would be the motor but i suppose that could of went and blown the board

Still waiting on dyson parts to arrive but while im waiting could anyone tell me how i could do a multimeter test on this motor to check for damage ?

Attachments

• 20180825_080449.jpg
    20180825_080449.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 20180825_080457.jpg
    20180825_080457.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 272
If it turns by hand & the motor is not seized, then my guess would be that you should be able to measure the same resistance between the blue & each of the other wires. You are looking to measure across a number of coils, without knowing how many there are it is difficult to say.

Surely there are 3 windings, connected to 6 of the wires H1 H2 H3 W1 W2 W3. No idea what the blue and brown 5v wires are for, speed sense perhaps?

The world loves a trier.
You seem to be under the impression that repair of an overly complex piece of machinery is a simple task.
You say "but the innings of this fan dont seem that complex or am i missing something like i say there is just a 220v motor and a board"
Since the LEDs aren't illuminated and the motor doesn't run, don't you think that just maybe the 'simple' circuit board might be the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back