E cigarettes banned for under 18's

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
http://news.sky.com/story/1201093/e-cigarettes-to-be-banned-for-under-18s

..."We must do all we can to help children lead a healthy life. That's why this measure is designed to help protect children from the dangers of being bought cigarettes by irresponsible adults"

Adults buying fags for under 18's has always been illegal........hasn't it?

So instead of encouraging the use of E cigarettes for under 18's they're actually going to ban them.....go figure?

Guess they still need the duty on fags so don't want you you to stop smoking just yet!

Sponsored Links
Why not bring back 'sweet cigarettes' then? The ones we pretended to smoke with as kids.

Not always. There was a time when it was OK for under 18s to buy fags for adults. We used to tell the tobacconist that the 10 pack of Embassies was for our mum.

Only trouble was, she didn't smoke - and we were only 11 years old. :eek:

Well, it was the 70s and smoking was still virtually compulsory. How did we ever survive without an overbearing state controlling every minute aspect of our lives. :rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
many of those 11-year-old smokers from the 1970's haven't.

Sponsored Links
Same here Whitespirit,used get the old fella half ounce of golden virginia and a packet of green papers,only thing is he smoked a pipe.

many of those 11-year-old smokers from the 1970's haven't.

It's quite normal for kids to experiment, and short of an outright ban, you won't stop them. Even if you nanny them, day and night.

We live in a country where soft drugs are all but legalised. A relative was telling me that his daughter went to a school disco at Xmas. The next day, she told her father about all of the drug taking at the disco. Alcohol wasn't allowed, but apparently the kids made up for this with cannabis and pills. One girl ended her night in an ambulance.

This isn't some hopeless school on a bad estate, but a private school. I think the girls father was relieved that by telling him about it, it was unlikely that she had been involved. In 30 years or so, we've gone from a crafty Players behind the bike sheds, to kids being routinely exposed to all sorts of drugs.

Another example of the government interfering in our lives. I'm surprised they haven't yet got us all eating muesli for breakfast and nothing but salads for dinner. ;) ;)

is it the government's attempts to control the trade in various drugs that you are complaining about?

18?

I th9ought it was 16 for buying cigarettes?

How things change.

Kids are putting cannabis inserts into the electronic fags and getting zonked in the classroom. Of course they should be banned. Just like tobacco and alcohol.

you dont think this is to do with the government being lent on by the tobacco firms by chance do you??:rolleyes:

e cigs have been around for a few years now.but according to the news the other night they still havnt been thoroughly tested.even 1 of the main ciggie firms are producing them so that they can continue to get there coin.
ive been on 1 for about 18mths and still smoke a few roll ups.trying again to get off the roll ups once and for all.but like many finding it hard to do.

in truth the government do not want us to give up FULL stop,as for example if they get 5 billion in taxes through tobacco where will these funds come from if this was to suddenly stop?.oh yes raise taxes again somewhere else.

Not always. There was a time when it was OK for under 18s to buy fags for adults. We used to tell the tobacconist that the 10 pack of Embassies was for our mum.

Yeah but that was kids buying for adults, how about the other way round......hasn't that always been against the law?

I've never smoked, me and my brother pinched a park drive from my mum when we were 9 and 10, we ran off to smoke it behind a tree, we both coughed our gutts up and neither of us have smoked since both in our mid 40's.

But the goverment accept that there are children that do smoke so rather than help them quit they impose a ban on these cigarettes till they're 18, that seems so odd to me

A mate of mine i've known for a while now who has always smoked since i've known him gave up after 6 weeks on an E cig and 2 years later doesn't smoke and doesn't get the craving and doesn't use the E cig anymore either. My supervisor at wok has recently started using them and he's noticed the difference within weeks, he still has a real fag every now and then but he reckons it won't be long before he's quit for good

is it the government's attempts to control the trade in various drugs that you are complaining about?

Yes, like they're getting a grip on immigration and the national debt.

The government could actually stop the illegal trade in drugs if they wanted to, but there's no political will. Governments are usually the problem, not the solution.

Sponsored Links
Back