e-hopeless

I don't think it really helps to make the 'instructions' any less incomprehesible, but no-one seems to have observed that this abomination is presumably directed at US readers - so maybe AC/DC converting jump boxes haven't yet got across the Atlantic :)

Kind Regards, John.

Do they have ring circuits in the US? (Radial circuits, or ring circuits, are a chain of interconnected circuits with separate conductors, in case you were wondering)

Edit: Paul_C beat me to it and commented more thoroughly on the angloisms in the article. Although the writer does americanise millimetre.

Sponsored Links
Do they have ring circuits in the US?

Not in standard domestic wiring. Nor in general commercial installations for that matter.

(Radial circuits, or ring circuits, are a chain of interconnected circuits with separate conductors, in case you were wondering)

I'm still trying to work out what that's even supposed to mean. :confused:

Perhips it will have been writing by a nice Chinese person who too will being doing the writing the directions in a heap of modern appliances to the kitchen please.

Sponsored Links
I don't think so. The mention of the maximum number of spurs being one per socket (presumably with reference to the number of sockets on a ring) would not make sense in North America.
Fair enough. Maybe I was influenced by the fact that an awful lot on that site is clearly US-orientated (and many written by people identified as from US).

Kind Regards, John.

I don't think so. The mention of the maximum number of spurs being one per socket (presumably with reference to the number of sockets on a ring) would not make sense in North America. And the cable sizes given are metric, even though you might be searching for 2 sq. mm. T&E for a while!
The site is clearly aimed at US readers- there's an overwhelming number of articles which are US-centric.

Probably what's happened is that Joe McIndoe is such an idiot he didn't even notice.

wrong.jpg

They've nicked our 13A BS1363 plug to use as a 3-wire armored connector!

I've noticed several other pages where the photograph seems to bear absolutely no relationship to the caption below it, or to the article in general, other than being of "something electrical." I have a suspicion that whoever puts some of those pages together has no idea about the content and just selects a picture at random!

But that's another article which fails on far more than just the confusing photograph. 2887-BOX is a Cooper part number, which seems an odd thing to quote specifically in the title when the wiring description is generic to any similar connector. Moreover though, the description is talking about wiring a 3-pole 4-wire connector for 240V, but the Cooper connector referred to is a 2-pole 3-wire type for 120V!

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Coo...-Wire-Grounded-Armored-Connector-4352878.html

The purpose of most of these sites is not to tell people how to do things, it's to draw people to the adverts.

And to satisfy the creative urges of people who can't cope with mediawiki markup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back