Earth . . Apparantly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(thanks to all who left comments in the recent thread by david_galashiels, it was very educational.)

Can anyone solve the mystery of the seemingly under sized earth bonding?

Note from the pic if you can (sorry only taken with cam/phone today) that a 16mm earth is fed back from the CU(not shown) to the main earth block which then has bare wire returning to the lead outer of the phase and neutral -(sweated across both) tn-s earthing I presume. The locking screws of the bare wire on the earth block are sheared off. Also into this earth block connects a smaller earth from elsewhere, this is along side the 16mm and is my be 4mm.

13-09-06_1003.jpg

13-09-06_0955.jpg
13-09-06_1002.jpg

My question is, the wiring has been updated and a new CU fitted, with new earth cable back to the block, but the bare wire from the block is considerable thinner/smaller? I know I'm thinking in terms of gas pipes and this just wouldn't work. Sorry thats not really a question is it?

O.K. try this, I'm there to sort the multipoint (you can just see it with case off left of pic) new o/heat stat, sorted. Then like all good gas persons check bonding on gas pipe 10mm, yes good, follow bonding back to earth block or in this case CU earth strip then back to earth block and BAM my 10mm regulation bonding disappears into thin wire sweated on/ pins sheared, I cannot even lob abit'o spare 10mm into the block.

I have pics now of three 'jobs' in which the identical situation exsists, Large earth then reducing to thinner fixed wire.

Right you've waited long enough my question - is it acceptable?

If NO...

I know we spoke about PES, DNO It gave me PMS but can I earth strap round the already exposed lead and run to a new multi block then 'lob abit'o spare 10mm into the block to sort my gas pipe out'?

Cheers Lads.

Sponsored Links
The un-insulated earth sweated onto the lead cable sheaths is the property of the electricity board, and sized according to their standards.

They have supplied you with a terminal to use (the old style one), and this is where YOUR installation begins. Everything after that point must comply to BS7671. Anything BEFORE That earth terminal is at the electricity boards discretion.

If you contact your DNO, they may well upgrade the earth connection for you.

I would always opt to stay with a TN-S supply, I hate to see PME supplies derived from a TN-S service.

Sponsored Links
thanks lecky & spark,

Lectrician said

The un-insulated earth sweated onto the lead cable sheaths is the property of the electricity board, and sized according to their standards.

yes I realize thats the stock reply but I'm still curious.

securespark said

What's your Ze?

So if its not then, whats the options, can it be done safely with out involving the ODPM - Joke!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back