Earth bonding cut for water meter

RMB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a water meter installed by the stopcock where the water supply enters the house. The installer cut the original earth cable that was attached and replaced it with a thinner one. The original cable came from under the floorboards and presumably was connected to the consumer unit. The new earth bonding doesn't actually go anywhere (see photo). I emailed the water company and they phoned to say this is correct. Is it?
1-S4060001.JPG
1-S4060003.JPG
1-S4060001.JPG

Sponsored Links
the wire they have put in is not a main bond, you still need one.

the water co's earth maintains continuity each side of the meter, which might be plastic or could be removed.

Is any part of your water pipe plastic?

The cut wire should be connected to the pipe coming out of the ground.

The wire they have put on is not needed.

And why is there water all over it, is this a shower cubicle?

Sponsored Links
The cut wire should be connected to the pipe coming out of the ground.

The wire they have put on is not needed.
Should that not be on the customers side of the stop valve? ie above the meter?

Just realised - on a non-electrical matter - there is a branch pipe before the meter ???
There does appear to be.

Our setup here is exactly the same, the branch just upstream of our meter travels the entire length of our cellar to feed the neighbour's meter. I obviously have no idea as to whether the explanation is the same in the OP's case.

Kind Regards, John

If it were the case the stop cock would turn off the neighbour too. Is that what you have too John? I suppose it makes sense if there is a burst, but could be inconvenient for the neighbour.

Just realised - on a non-electrical matter -

there is a branch pipe before the meter ???
I saw that branch but originally thought it passes behind the other. Does that mean only one branch into the property is metered?

If it were the case the stop cock would turn off the neighbour too. Is that what you have too John? I suppose it makes sense if there is a burst, but could be inconvenient for the neighbour.
Yes, but, just as with mine (and has EFLI has observed) there are stopcocks on both sides of the branch (in my case to the neighbour's). Hence one of those turns off the supplies to both properties, and the other turns off the supply just to mine. I would presume that there is another stopcock just before the neighbour's meter - so (in the event of their having a leak), they could turn off their supply without affecting mine (and, similarly, I can use the 'second' stopcock to turn off my house's supply without affecting theirs). Only if there were a leak in the pipe through my cellar (feeding the neighbour) would I have to use the upstream of my two stopcocks, thereby cutting off supply to both houses.

Kind Regards, John

I saw that branch but originally thought it passes behind the other. Does that mean only one branch into the property is metered?
As I've said, if it is like what I have here, the branch would go to the neighbouring property, where it is separately metered.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back