Earth bonding for water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a full rewire and replumb on a flat i am working on.

The water feed comes up through the hall into a meter just outside the front door. From here I have a new stop tap in brass and then after this i go into 15mm plastic. The feed goes up through the ceiling into my flat and I am installing the plastic for all locations.

So do i need to fit a 10mm earth to the water feed onto the copper part around the meter ?

It is very easy to fit a 10mm cable at this stage. Sparky says not to bother, but thought i would check here.

Sponsored Links
Metal. It seems some people say you do need to earth it due to the metal feed coming into the building. But some say not to.

If the equipotential zone for the installation is considered to be what's in the flat only (normal for most buildings), bonding is not required as It's outside the flat.
The metal pipework should already be bonded where it enters the building as part of the electrical installation for the common parts.

Sponsored Links
If the equipotential zone for the installation is considered to be what's in the flat only (normal for most buildings), bonding is not required as It's outside the flat.
Indeed.
The metal pipework should already be bonded where it enters the building as part of the electrical installation for the common parts.
On the basis of electrical common sense, one would think so, but BS7671 appears to say (or, at least, can be read as saying) that main bonding should be on the consumer's side of the meter (which, if I understand correctly, is plastic pipe in the OP's case), no matter how much 'unbonded' metal pipe that may leave in the building upstream of the meter - which seems daft (at least, to me).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back