Earth Bonding- Should I Be Worried?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Often read on here about pipes being earthed, and here's my question...

Twenty years ago, I commissioned and managed the build of my house. One feature used was the use of Hep2O pipework for water and heating. In the entire house (I know it inside out), the only place where there is what I understand to be earth bonding is at the copper pipework into/out of the boiler. There is a 3ft, approx 10 mm dia earth spike in the ground, the cable which I belive runs fron the CU.

Obviously all my taps are metal! Should I be worried?

Oh, NONE of this work is DIY by the way, all done by a sparks and signed off by BC.

Ta

CG

Sponsored Links
Often read on here about pipes being earthed,
You do - because people don't understand.
Pipes may require bonding (joining together electrically) because
they are earthed by some means other than the electrical supply - in the ground.

Twenty years ago, I commissioned and managed the build of my house. One feature used was the use of Hep2O pipework for water and heating.
Therefore they will not be earthed and so do not require bonding - if none of the metal parts is in the ground.
Do you have a gas supply?

In the entire house (I know it inside out), the only place where there is what I understand to be earth bonding is at the copper pipework into/out of the boiler.
This is not necessary but loved by plumbers.

There is a 3ft, approx 10 mm dia earth spike in the ground, the cable which I belive runs fron the CU.
That doesn't seem adequate if it is the electrode.

Obviously all my taps are metal! Should I be worried?
No.

Oh, NONE of this work is DIY by the way, all done by a sparks and signed off by BC.
Ok.

Thanks very much for that. Yes I have a gas supply too. Also, you mention that the 'electrode' might be inadequate- shoild I get it checked out?

Thanks

CG

Thanks very much for that. Yes I have a gas supply too.
The gas supply pipe will almost certainly need bonding, as will the initial part of the water pipe (befoire your plastic pipes 'take over' if it enters the house as metal pipe
Also, you mention that the 'electrode' might be inadequate- shoild I get it checked out?
That would seem desirable, since, as EFLI said, it sounds a bit 'modest' (hence possibly iffy). How do you know it's only 3 feet long? If you get an electrician to check this out, (s)he will also be able to advise about the bonding of water/gas pipes. Would it be possible for you to provide us with a photo of the 'service head' (with the electricity company's fuse) where the electricity supply enters your house (or an external meter cabinet)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
214000_213426_91014_62134665_thumb.jpg
[/url][/img]
214000_213426_91015_76997348_thumb.jpg
[/url]

These are pics of my gas and elec boxes as requested. All the pipes from the boiler are in copper until they go into the ceiling (or outside for the overflow etc) then change to plastic. At the time, I seem to recall Hepworths specified that the first 1m of heat and hot water piping must be copper off the boiler. Every one of those pipes is bonded.

The water main enters the house in plastic but has a metal stop cock and some copper before the plastic reumes.

CG

These are pics of my gas
The gas would appear to be bonded correctly.

All the pipes from the boiler are in copper until they go into the ceiling (or outside for the overflow etc) then change to plastic. At the time, I seem to recall Hepworths specified that the first 1m of heat and hot water piping must be copper off the boiler.
Just for heat reasons.

Every one of those pipes is bonded.
They don't need to be - pointless.

The water main enters the house in plastic but has a metal stop cock and some copper before the plastic reumes.
I misread correctly :) No bonding required.

The gas would appear to be bonded correctly.
It would. However, doesn't that look like a PME supply, in which case the "3 foot earth spike" might be a red herring?
Translation for the non spark please!
Sorry, I was really waiting for a response from EFLI before I translated for you! It looks as if you probably have an earth supplied by the electricity company - in which case the 'earth spike' you mentioned might be redundant/irrelevant.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks everyone, I am reassured that the Golf family are safe! I will call in a sparks and ask about the earth spike, and take any action suggested.

Cheers

CG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back