Yet Another Bonding Question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently discovered that my gas supply is not bonded I have been investigating just what IS bonded in the house.

The house is old and (from what I've read on here) I think my supply is TT, there is an earth spike and an RCD.

I have found a bonding connection to my cold water supply just as it enters the house but the cable disappears in the plaster work and I can't trace where it goes. Should it go to the earth block in the fuse box?

In the fuse box there is an earth wire for each ring main and one going out to the spike am I right in assuming that there should also be one for bonding the water supply?

Sponsored Links
Yes the earths from gas and water must connect to the main earth. It will either be inside the fusboard or a main earth block beside the fuse board.

Thanks Holmslaw, that's what I thought.

Looks like my water isn't bonded either. :(

The water and gas pipes are relatively close to each other, could I run from the gas to the water and then a single cable to the fuse box or is there a requirement for two cables?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes you can use one cable but it must be continuous or utilise a fixed terminal block or other permanent visible joint not made on either the gas or water connection points.

Just to clarify this, what you are saying Holmslaw is that I mustn't run a cable from the gas connection point to the water connection point and then to the earth but a cable from each of them to a fixed terminal block and then to earth?

Just to clarify this, what you are saying Holmslaw is that I mustn't run a cable from the gas connection point to the water connection point and then to the earth
You can do, as long as it's a continuous single run with no breaks. What you can't do is run a piece of cable from gas to water then another cable from water to earth.

Just to clarify this, what you are saying Holmslaw is that I mustn't run a cable from the gas connection point to the water connection point and then to the earth
You can do, as long as it's a continuous single run with no breaks. What you can't do is run a piece of cable from gas to water then another cable from water to earth.

That settles it then a single cable it is.

Whats the reason for this by the way as doesn't using a fixed terminal block imply it's not a single continuous run?

Holmslaw is not correct re the use of a fixed terminal block to join the conductor.

It must be one continuous piece of 10mm earth cable that runs from the Main Earthing Terminal (this may be inside the consumer unit or adjacent to the consumer unit). Either run two separate conductors, one to gas and one to water or; take a single piece to one service, bare back the conductors and loop it round the BS951 clamp and then on to the other service.

The idea is that if the wire is diconnected at the first service then the other service is still bonded.

You can do bonding without notification to the LABC.

As an add on, as you do not have bonding I guess you probably have an old TT installation. Can you describe, or post a PICTURE of that RCD?
If it has two earth wires going to it (one to the spike, one to the fuseboard) then you may have one of the old voltage type ELCBs. This may need replacing....

We've had this before. The suggestion that the cable should be continuous was in some of the diagrams in the 16th OSG, though not the regulations. The 17th OSG removed the diagrams in question. It is (possibly still) also mentioned in one of the guidance note books.

So I'd say it's good practice but not mandatory.

Holmslaw is not correct re the use of a fixed terminal block to join the conductor.

Which reg does it not comply with?

Didn't we have this one not so long back? I can't find the original post on account of the terrible search function, but I think someone came to the conclusion that the 'continuous length' thing may have come from the 16th Ed. OSG. AFAIK it was never part of the 16th Ed. regs, and certainly not part of the current regulations.

That doesn't mean to say it isn't good practice, of course.

EDIT: Damn you BS3036!

Didn't we have this one not so long back? I can't find the original post on account of the terrible search function, but I think someone came to the conclusion that the 'continuous length' thing may have come from the 16th Ed. OSG. AFAIK it was never part of the 16th Ed. regs, and certainly not part of the current regulations.

This thread?

The ECA seem to advise use of a screwed connection is not acceptable, but a crimped joint would be.

IE, you have an existing conductor connected to the gas or water pipe. You remove this conductor and extend it using a through crimp connector.
Then loop this exteded conductor through the clamp and terminate the other end to the other service pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back