Yet another bonding question!

yes you are right SELV must not be supplementary bonded, I took it for granted that, that would have been obvious

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Brisband, for your comment and offer. I had looked at the bonding requirements and felt that connection to the earth of the socket in the loft satisfied them. Installing a double-pole pull switch in the shower-room would seem to me somewhat farcical, since the transformer is also in the loft. Perhaps you can convince me I am wrong!

MM

the electrical regulations states that you must have local isolation or means of cutting off the supply to an appliance. Your socket in the loft can not be clased as local isolation, even though a plug and socket is classed as means of isolation. As previously posted what if you need to isolate the supply in an emergency..... OK you may have a 30mA RCD protecting the circuit, but again where is the local isolation?

Thanks again! You've almost convinced me - and I cannot challenge the regulations! It's just that I cannot envisage an emergency which needed switching off an 18V supply in the shower-room.

MM

Sponsored Links
diwire said:
Thanks again! You've almost convinced me - and I cannot challenge the regulations! It's just that I cannot envisage an emergency which needed switching off an 18V supply in the shower-room.

MM
perhaps i was a little daft about emergency, but local isolation for maintenance is a requirement of the regs as far as i know.

Ok lets have another go !!!!! where is the pump for the shower? Would it be reasonable to say that at some point this may require maintenance - yes. It is prefered that the person performing the maintenance has the means of switching under their continuous control. If not regulations 462-01-03 requires other suitable means of preventing inadvertent energising of you pump to be used.

You've convinced me! The chances of having lock-off switches, or putting a padlock on the plug while it's out of your sight and you service the appliance seem slim to me.

But then, I always preferred a readily visible local switch.

Crafty, not daft - I thought your first post was brilliant! Isolation for maintenance makes sense but - back to pedanticism! - if the "maintenance engineer" finds no local switch I would expect him/her to look for it in the next most obvious place - i.e. where the shower gets its water supply.

I'm sure you're going to shoot me down in flames again!

MM

diwire said:
Crafty, not daft - I thought your first post was brilliant! Isolation for maintenance makes sense but - back to pedanticism! - if the "maintenance engineer" finds no local switch I would expect him/her to look for it in the next most obvious place - i.e. where the shower gets its water supply.

I'm sure you're going to shoot me down in flames again!

MM

He might quite reasonably, not seeing a local isolator, go to the CU and lock off your MCB. Rather less convenient for the user as the whole subcircuit would be off.

Great I like it. Yes the engineer might look else where, but who is the designer / installer of the circuit - you, and again you must comply with the regulations.

Yes JohnD I know what you mean. Sometimes isolation can seem a bit extreme, but I would prefer to be safe then sorry.

Many thanks everyone. Crafty and Brisband have put forward convincing arguments - I concede! The shower ought to have local isolation. (Interesting that my initial question was not answered! - Pretty daft one anyway.)

MM

Softus said:
Shouldn't it be "Can we stop being so pedantic, please?"?

A nice point. However I believe it is an instruction disguised as a question.

JohnD said:
A nice point. However I believe it is an instruction disguised as a question.
Did you mean to say "incompletely disguised..."?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back