Yet another bonding question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I note that "each circuit" supplying a bathroom or shower must be connected to the supplementary earth bonding. We have a shower-room where the (low-voltage) shower and two mirror mounted lamps are plugged into a 13A twin-socket in the loft. The earth from this socket is connected to one end of the bonding "daisy-chain". Assuming I must also connect the bonding to the ceiling lamp supply, is it OK to connect it to the other end of the "daisy-chain"?

Any advice gratefully received.

MM

Sponsored Links
your bathroom needs rewiring before you consider earth bonding.

How do you propose to isolate the shower in an emergency?

"whats that love? your being electrocuted? hang on, i'll get the loft ladders"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

There are no requirements that state there should be a seperate isolator for the shower in this instance.
You say the shower is low voltage. By this I assume that you actually mean Safety Extra Low Voltage (SELV).
I doubt that many folk get electrocuted by SELV showers.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Some people call 230v low voltage.
oh dear, can we please stop being so pedantic and assume the OP is a DIYer, for the purposes of simplicity, and talk using terms he will understand!!!!! :evil:

Thanks for the interest in my question. Not quite the reply I was expecting!I thought I was the last word in pedanticism but apparently not! Crafty is right about about diyer - I chose my username with that in mind. RF is right too - the shower is SELV (18V) with a miniscule integral pump. On TV recently there was mention that one of the large planets gets lightening bolts from one of its moons, so Crafty is also right about 230 volts![/u][/i]

our friends are quite right you do need to look at having your bathroom rewired, with a pull cord double pole switch switching the power on to the transformer for the SELV circuit ( selv usually 12vac rms or 30vdc ripple free in zone 1). then EVERY current drawing appliance and extraneous conductive part within the bathroom must have supplementary bonding. :idea: If it helps I can e-mail you a copy of a diagram issued by the IEE showing the bonding requirements for the you bathroom if you send me your e-mail address.

brisband said:
our friends are quite right you do need to look at having your bathroom rewired, with a pull cord double pole switch switching the power on to the transformer for the SELV circuit

Why?

brisband said:
then EVERY current drawing appliance and extraneous conductive part within the bathroom must have supplementary bonding.
:confused:
The CPC of circuits supplying class 1 and 2 equipment in the zones needs to be supplementary bonded to the extraneous conductive parts, SELV items must not be supplementary bonded.

A double pole switch is used so complete isolation of both live conductors (phase and neutral) can be achieved at the transformor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back