Another Supplementary bonding Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only circuit coming into my bathroom is a lighting circuit connecting to a pullcord on the ceiling in zone 3. Am i right in saying that my bathroom supplementary bonding should end at the earth in that pullcord switch?

When reading about supplementary bonding its made plain that you don't run to the CU earthing terminal but if your connecting to a circuits earth aren't you indirectly earthing to the CU anyway? So what's the difference?

Sponsored Links
Sort of a mixture of different regs question - the 16th edn regs had a zone 3 but no longer exists in the 17th.
In the 16th edn regs you were required to connect together all extraneous and the CPC of the circuit supplying any class 1 or 2 apparatus within the zones.
Under the 17th this has been relaxed providing all circuits in the location are RCD protected, disconnection times are met (which should be nice and easy if they are RCD protected) and the pipework is effectively connected back to the MET - you would need to confirm this by measurement.
If the above requirements for the 17th edn regs aren't met with then supplementary bonding will be required - this needs to connect together all ECPs of the location.

Supplementary bonding is carried out local to the location, the idea is it holds all parts which can introduce a potential at or about the same potential. There is no need to connect it to the MET.
You only need to connect the CPC of each circuit once hence once at the light switch would be fine if supp bonding is reqd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back